Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mmegnia

Cannot create calculated measures with multidimensional SSAS cube

In Power BI desktop, we have many features disabled when connected to a multidimensional SSAS cube on SQL Server 2014 12.0.4100.1.  The main one is that we cannot create calculated measures, or change the aggregation method on a measure.  We also cannot join in any other data sets.  I can't find much about this online and am wondering if its just us or if this is by design.

We are looking at switching to Tabular, but I am wondering if we just upgrade to SQL2016 we could continue on multidimensional.

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mmegnia,

The main one is that we cannot create calculated measures, or change the aggregation method on a measure.  We also cannot join in any other data sets.  I can't find much about this online and am wondering if its just us or if this is by design.

These are all known limitations when live connected to MDX cubes with Power BI Desktop.

Followings are the related ideas shared on Power BI Ideas forum. You can vote them up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Calculated measures when live connected to MDX cubes

SSAS Get Data multiple data sources

Regards

Thank you!  I did eventually figure this out. 

Do you know if there is any time line in which live connections will support calculated measures for multidimensional, or should we switch to tabular?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mmegnia ,

I too have a smiliar issue. Hope you figured  it out :). 

How can we create a measure when connected to a SSAS cube (live connection)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.