Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

quyenduong
Helper II
Helper II

Cannot change text to number in Power Query Editor

Hi there, 

I have several columns (all columns with Est & Year in the header) that include null value and number like this 190,513. Power BI automatically recognizes this column as Text but not Number. Now, I must change the data type from Text to Whole Number. Here is what I did:

• In the Power Query Editor: Transform > Choose the column > Change Data Type from text to whole number 

Then the whole column becomes Error (screenshot below is example of one column, it will be similar when i apply the same for the other columns).

quyenduong_0-1665421002883.png

I read some questions in the platform but still cannot solve this problem. Thank you so much for answering. 

Best regards, 

4 REPLIES 4
JasminParis

Bonjour,

J'ai rencontré le même souci, avez-vous trouvé la solution, SVP?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@quyenduong , Can you please click error and share that

Hi @amitchandak , I found out that the data containing numbers always have "comma" between numbers, therefore, it fails to convert to Whole number.

quyenduong_0-1665429182124.png

I saw that there is a function to replace value "," to nothing but I wonder if i can apply this for all columns containing number so I dont have to do it one by one. 

Thank you

Hi @quyenduong 

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Usually a number column is automatically recognized as a number column, unless the number contains some spaces, then the column will be recognized as text type. Could you share a sample file for us to check? thanks

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.