Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

utnapishtem
Helper I
Helper I

Can't stack two series column chart... need some help

Here's what I start with:

utnapishtem_0-1613098486990.png

I have a nice stacked column visual, and I've selected my first data set for the columns.  One of the columns is "Date".  It works great.  But now, I want to stack another series on top of it:

utnapishtem_1-1613098594080.png

But, that's not right... all I did was drag the column I wanted into the "Values" section.  But every year's value is the same.  Hmmm... is it somehow just showing the sum total for every time slice?  Even when I drill down, the number for the new series is the same.  It looks like it just stuck the entire sum of the column on top of the chart.  That's pretty lame... Maybe I need to drag the date column from this data set onto the chart?

utnapishtem_2-1613098749867.png

Nope, that doesn't do anything...

I can delete the first time series:

utnapishtem_3-1613098786775.png

And now the remaining data set acts correctly.  Okay, I'm now resorting to printing off the powerBI charts, cutting them out and taping the columns together.  Is there a better way?

3 REPLIES 3
utnapishtem
Helper I
Helper I

I figured it out.  I need to Append Queries to combine the two different tables.  From the combined table, PowerBI is able to plot the stacked column chart just fine.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@utnapishtem , there two measures are from the same table? if not are those tables using a common date table?

In this case, both measures should finally refer to a common date table

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Hmm; I thought I replied, but looks like my reply got lost...
Anyway, I spent some time reading the articles you posted about creating a date calendar.  I don't see why that is necessary here.  I'm not trying to create different date slices or anything.  I'm just trying to plot two different time series as stacked columns.  Maybe I'm not understanding what PowerBI is doing with my data here.  How would it know the relation between the data I'm plotting and the date it is on?  I mean, it's not like the row numbers line up 1:1 with some arbitrary date.  You're telling me both 'measures' (they're columns) need to 'use' a common date table.  What does that even mean?  The data is coming from Excel.  Each column comes from a different table in Excel.  Each table has it's own date column.  Is that not possible to combine in PowerBI?  I created a repro project that illustrates my problem, but can't find any place to upload it here, so it's on my OneDrive shared here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!BA7jl24SA2VzhbF00Rer7BXH3eGyvg?e=E1lqln

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.