Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

CatPhish
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can I force Direct Query to bypass Aggreggation Table and pick up the latest data for today's orders

The data in our e-commerce database updates every thirty minutes. Our dataset is using direct query to ensure our reporting has the most up-to-date information. We are on a Pro license, so we get 8 scheduled refreshes per day.

I've been using Power BI for a number of years, but this is the first time I've tried to use one model to cover both historical sales and current day's selling. Previously they were two separate data sets, one was a refresh each morning, and one was a separate direct query model that pulled only today's information. These models are basically reporting the same data.

To speed up report performance, I set up aggregations and it worked very well. However, the problem is that our "Today" report is only picking up the data as of the latest update, not the live data through direct query.

So, for example, if the last full refresh was at noon, when the "Today" report is opened at 3, the data is only showing as of noon, not including what has happened since the last refresh.

Is there a way to setup my dataset / aggregations to force the current date to use direct query, but have all of the historical data use the aggregation tables I've created? If I have the aggregation tables only include data before today will that force the model to pull the latest data for today?

I would appreciate any help/advice offered! Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @CatPhish 

I have not fully understood your current situation. Is your historical data connected using the import connection mode? After you set up the aggregation, how does the refresh occur? If it is Direct Query, it should be opened directly to query the latest data.

For reference:

Automatic aggregations overview - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Unfortunately we are in a Pro workspace, a premium workspace, so this would not apply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.