Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PSGL
Frequent Visitor

Calculating continuation % from the previous row for records in an unpivoted matrix

Hi All, 

Having nearly broken my brain trying various ways to calculate the 'subject', I am hoping someone can point me in the right directin as to how I would go about calculating the continuation % as a measure, in a matrix, based on records that denote an online session funnel as per the below:

PSGL_0-1712332160122.png

In effect I need to calculate the %s based on the filter context/record level detail.

Tips and ricks welcome as not wanting to leanr not simply get the answer! although I will be grateful either way!

4 REPLIES 4
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Can you please explain what the Contunuation % column is? It a percentage sure. Is Total Sessions the Numerator? If so, what the denominator? Is it the same for all rows? Why is 100,000 100% but 500,000 only 50%? It is 5 times as big, should it not be 500%

Sorry, but the data does not make sense.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

Good evening and thank you for offering up some help. Forgive my poor grammar when asking the question, I meant I am wanting to learn how rather than be given the answer so I created that dummy table in excel. Continuation basically looks at the % of the new value / the previous value, as in the % of customers who continue through to funnel towards a purchase event. So I am trying to create a calculation that wilenable me to reflect this in a matrix where the records represent the funnel. I could not share my actual pbix file. 

In looking at your data, I suspect that the first value should be 1,000,000. Then every subsequent Continuation % is the percentage of the previous row. If that is the case, then you should look into Visual Calculations:

Using visual calculations in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

In the below screen shot, I have used Visual Calculations on a simple table. The first calculation added was [Previous Sessions] = PREVIOUS ( [Total Sessions] ). Next I added [Continuation %] = DIVIDE([Total Sessions], [Previous Sessions], 0). Unfortunately you cannot format these measures so I had to add " * 100 " to make it a percentage number. Lastly, I hid the [Previous Sessions] calculation from the table visual above.

ToddChitt_0-1712338179562.png

I leave it to you, dear reader, to take this last calculation and cast it to a string, strip out the trailing decimal zeros, and add a % sign.

Best of luck.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

This looks annoyingly simple considering I had been writing variables longer than my arm that were failing! but is it easy when you know how so I applaud and thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.