Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate cumulative counts over missing date/time values

I'm running a survey and trying to calculate and project completion rates. Here's where I'm at so far:

I can get a cumulative completion rate using a formula like this (I have one for both counts and percentage):

• Cumulative Comparison Count = CALCULATE(
    [Comparison Completers],
    FILTER(ALL(ComparisonData[Relative End Date (bins)]),
    ComparisonData[Relative End Date (bins)]<=MAX(ComparisonData[Relative End Date (bins)])))

The problem is that where there are missing "Relative End Date" values (i.e. when no one submitted a survey during that time period), the chart skips that bucket and this breaks the projection function.

In excel I would create a table of all the date/time values between my start date and end date and then use a countif function like this:

A1     1/1/2019 6:00:00 AM     =COUNTIF(CompletionDate/Time,"<="&A1)

A2     1/1/2019 7:00:00 AM     =COUNTIF(CompletionDate/Time,"<="&A2)

A3     1/1/2019 8:00:00 AM     =COUNTIF(CompletionDate/Time,"<="&A3)

I was able to replicate this at the whole survey level using a calculated table and a Generateseries() statement, but I need to be able to slice this data by various cuts. The calculated table doesn't cut on filters, so I'm not sure where to go from here. Is there a way to force the line chart I'm using, or the formulas, to count at every bucket value and not just at the ones where there are data?

Or another way - is there a way to create a series of values (each hour between my survey start and end time) and create a measure that counts the cumulative total at each point, regardless of whether or not there are new data at that time point?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured it out. I used guidance from this post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Cumulative-count-not-working/m-p/651707#M312569 I used a submission date/time that I rounded to the nearest hour. Then I use a calculated table like this: Time Series = GENERATESERIES(43587,MROUND(NOW(),(1/24)),(1/24)) the MROUND(NOW()) statement allows me to have a dynamic max value in that series. This means my projections can work based on the latest submission data. Projections are now working! Woohoo!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured it out. I used guidance from this post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Cumulative-count-not-working/m-p/651707#M312569 I used a submission date/time that I rounded to the nearest hour. Then I use a calculated table like this: Time Series = GENERATESERIES(43587,MROUND(NOW(),(1/24)),(1/24)) the MROUND(NOW()) statement allows me to have a dynamic max value in that series. This means my projections can work based on the latest submission data. Projections are now working! Woohoo!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.