Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

bel18

Calculate and Display Sum of Count Over Time

New to PowerBI and looking for help creating a line graph that compares the number of applications over 12 months for different years. I feel like it should be easy and I'm missing something.

Here is the data I have in my table:

AppID: an auto-increment number that I've been using COUNT for for total apps

App Created Date: mm-dd-yyyy

Academic Year

Term

Basically, what I am looking to do is say, ok, for AY 16-17, on Sept 15 we have X total number of apps, this year we have X total number, etc.

I am able to create the line graph based on counts but it only shows the count of apps created on any given day, not total.

Been trying for a while and really struggling, any help or resources greatly appreciated!table.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bel18,

What's the expected result? What should the total be? If the X-axis is months, the count is counting the data of all the month, which is a total in some way.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm realizing that this is more complicated than I initially anticipated it being.  I was able to create  a "Cumuliative Total" measure that gets me the information that I need in chart form.  From what I can gather, to achieve what I want, I need to do a second calculate measure that is the difference between the **bleep**. total of this year's applications versus last year's and should be able to use that.  

However, here is the complication:  we're a university, so our application cycle runs on an academic year, not a calendar year, so our year is August 1 - July 31 in terms of measuring and counting applications.  

This is my very crude representation of what what my ultimate goal is - to see where we stand on total number of applications at any given point compared to previous years. 

application tracking.png

Hi @bel18,

You can use the fiscal dates instead. Please refer to the snapshot below. 

Can you share a dummy sample?

Calculate_and_Display_Sum_of_Count_Over_Time

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.