Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Frbelotto
Frequent Visitor

Bug aggregating data on Dual/Import mode

Hello guys,
I´ve created and configured a data source cotaining several treatments and editions. This is the data output using a Matrix visual  using DIRECT QUERY (contain all data)

Frbelotto_0-1709687690448.png

As soon as I change the source to Dual OR Import Mode, this is the output (no configurantion changes on the visual). The ouput table is not so big (cotaings about 70 rows) and is intented to be an agreggation table. 

Frbelotto_1-1709687906547.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Frbelotto ,

Based on your description, it seems that changing the storage schema affects the behaviour of aggregations in the Matrix visualisation. As you have observed, switching modes results in different outputs due to the different ways in which data is stored and queried. For a detailed explanation of these storage modes, see the Power BI documentation on storage modes:

Use storage mode in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

The following are a few steps and considerations for troubleshooting and possibly resolving the issue:

1. Ensure that the aggregation tables are configured correctly. This includes checking the Manage Aggregations dialogue box in Power BI Desktop to confirm that the aggregation behavior for each column is correctly defined. For more information on configuring data sources for aggregations, visit the following link:
    User-defined aggregations - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
  2. When changing to dual or import mode, it is critical to verify that the storage mode settings match your data and reporting needs. Import mode caches data in memory, which affects how the data is refreshed and displayed. Dual mode offers more flexibility, but needs to be configured carefully to ensure it behaves as expected in different query contexts.

If the problem persists after reviewing these steps, could you please provide more specific details about the configuration? For example what specific aggregations are you applying to the table? Are there any calculated columns or metrics that might be affected by the storage schema change?

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I will read the suggested links. About the aggregation configuration, I´ve not set it up yet. I was first trying to pull the data to my PWBI file, and after that, I would setup the aggregagion. So far, its an "independent" table. 

I really struggle to understand why would import or dual mode change de data, as I just imagine it as "saving" a copy of the query results (and the query is ok running o direct query)

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.