Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

brianmcoonan

Bring Up Whole Table by clicking on a row in another

Hello friend,

Relatively new to PowerBI but having a hard time finding my answer.  Have searched the forum and the internet and cannot figure out how to do it - I don't think the Drillthrough is what I need but being new, I could be wrong.  I can't share the pbix file due to the data but I will try and explain what I have going on - I'm SURE this has been asked befofe and resolved somehow because it seems like a very common thing that someone would need to do.

I have 5 Slicers configured that gets me a table containing names of reports.  This is imported from an Excel sheet that I created and works great.  

From that table I'm trying to click on a report name to bring up another table which would contain the data in the report.  The report data is being imported directly from HANA so somehow I need to tie the two together because there could be hundreds of report names and then the corresponding data would need to be imported from HANA into PowerBI as a source. 

Hoping that someone can help, and thank you in advance for any input or guidance,

BC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yeah no, that's not what Power BI Service is about. To some extent you could shoehorn Power BI Desktop into that if you were willing to live in Power Query alone.   What you are really after is a dynamic OLAP generator. These are usually custom designed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide a more detailed explanation of what you are aiming to achieve. What have you tried and where are you stuck?  Sounds like you are trying to use Power BI for something it is not designed to do.

Hi there - thank you for responding and trying to help, I appreciate it.  

What I'm trying to achieve is to have some slicers that get me a output of Report Names which I have done and it works as I need it to.

From that table - when a user selects one of the report names, I would like Power BI to actually display the report data.

However - All of the reports are separate data sources and they are not linked together by any common fields and there are hundreds of reports so putting them together into one file isn't feasible.  I've attached a screen shot here to help illustrate (hopefully) what I'm trying to get to.  So clicking on Report 1 would bring up the Report 1 DATA SOURCE (entire report) which is being sourced from HANA directly.

POC.JPG

Yeah no, that's not what Power BI Service is about. To some extent you could shoehorn Power BI Desktop into that if you were willing to live in Power Query alone.   What you are really after is a dynamic OLAP generator. These are usually custom designed.

Thank you kindly for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.