Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

rschaudhr
Resolver II
Resolver II

Box Plot based on 5 values

I have been tasked to create a box plot/box whisker plot. I have been provided the following data:

10 Percentile

90 Percentile

Average

Min 

Max

So an example of the data set is:

10 Percentile90 PercentileAverageMax Min
Company A9012010012080
Company B1870208015
Company C3080409028

The 3rd party visualization in Power BI cannot build box plot based on values provide above. Is there any other way to build this box plot based on data provided?

Thank you! 

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rschaudhr,

I check the official visual and custom visual in the marketplace but I doubt they all not suitable for your requirements. (they do not support to display multiple aggregations at the same time)

For this scenario, I'd like to suggest you use script-based custom visuals(r, python) which allow you to manually plot and combine multiple graphs effect based on specific datasets.

Notice: these types of visuals not able to interact with other charts or visuals, but they can be effect/filter by others.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

If needed, you can make the needed chart with Charticulator (or R or Python).  Below is a link that demos Charticulator, along with a link to an example pbiviz that may work for you and the .chart file in case you want to modify it.  Not you need to add an Index column to your data that will be needed in the top field well for the chart.

(1) Can You Say "Charticulator"? - I Knew You Could - Portland Power BI UG - YouTube

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aXT-ByFx4wYp0avTq1uRx5atsyErwgCM?usp=sharing

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hi @amitchandak, I tried the box and whisker plot you mentioned and yes, it did not work for the data I have. 

Hi @rschaudhr,

Were you able to resolve this? I am on similar situation where we are pre calculating the Boxplot Statistics due to the volume of data.  As of the moment, we are using Paginated Report as the boxplot there accepts this dataset (similar to excel).  I was wondering if you were able to implement this in a Power BI visual.

Thanks,

DEX

Hi @Anonymous 

Actually, one of my collegues figured out way to to use line and stack column chart to develop a visual. You will have to use format section to make changes. For example change lines into dashes. It does not make an actual box plot but it comes close to it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.