Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

chris1234512
Frequent Visitor

Blanks vs Zero's when utilizing an Excel Doc as a Datasource

I have an excel doc as a data source for a power bi model. The doc utilizes multiple division formulas so in some circumstances I'm receiving a #DIV/O! error. I generally fix this error on the excel side, by utilizing IFERROR and making the result a blank. From a Power BI standpoint when I use this sheet as a source doc, is it more efficient to make the results zeros or blanks?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kpost
Super User
Super User

as @sayaliredij said, you can fix them on the Power BI side instead using "DIVIDE" like this:

New Column = DIVIDE([Value A], [Value B], <put 0 or BLANK() here depending on what you want in error case>)

In my opinion, though, as far as Power BI is concerned, whether you do it in Excel or Power BI, best practice is to fill with zeros.  It is more likely to result in desired behavior in the visuals you end up creating using that data set.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kpost
Super User
Super User

as @sayaliredij said, you can fix them on the Power BI side instead using "DIVIDE" like this:

New Column = DIVIDE([Value A], [Value B], <put 0 or BLANK() here depending on what you want in error case>)

In my opinion, though, as far as Power BI is concerned, whether you do it in Excel or Power BI, best practice is to fill with zeros.  It is more likely to result in desired behavior in the visuals you end up creating using that data set.

Sounds good. I'll roll with the zeros then. Appreciate it!

sayaliredij
Super User
Super User

HI @chris1234512 ,

You can use DIVIDE in DAX formule instead of using '/' . it will handle the error like excel

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/best-practices/dax-divide-function-operator

Thanks,

Sayali

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

For my purposes, I'd like to keep the division in excel. Any tips if that's the case?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.