Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBI_ponderer
Frequent Visitor

BigQuery Issue - not importing all rows

Hello All,

I am having an issue with BigQuery: in short, I have 573,347 rows in my table in BigQuery, yet PBI only imports 3,072 of them. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it? I have tried 'import' mode vs 'DirectQuery' and it still doesn't work. I am using the latest version of PBI Desktop.

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
Bamak
Helper V
Helper V

Hi

My compagny faces 2 problems when Power BI  is connected to GCP Bigquery

• Some lines disappear when loading certain table models WITHOUT warning !!!
  • A simple left merge on 2 BQ tables crashes on power query (bad folding send to BQ) ,  but OK for that we get a yellow warning

Sorry @aj1973 , mr champion but since our tool is power ib, I consider it as  the "data quality control tower" 
    Why not integration crashes , but please not without clear Warnings
    Clear explanation of each issue (due to PBI limitations or GCP BQ limitations <-- BQ SQL bigdata compliant deals with 100s of millions of rows ;>)  )
    silent integration +   missing lines = very very bad  BI  reliability

Power BI (on Desktop & Service) is THE integration control tower, so please show each issues messages
Work on data quality  or stop native BQ connector on desktop because reliability is not good for customers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I ran in a similar issue and problem comes from the fact that Power BI does not support long strings. When creating a view truncating long fields, all the rows are ingested.

This has nothing to do with Google Big Query limitations, it's a Power BI limitation

I think it's perfectly legitimate to point finger to PBI because even if data is in an unsupported format, or in my case, length , having silent errors is not acceptable.

Thank you 

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you please share the doc where you get the info?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-data-types#text-type

But looking twice that was not my exact issue, text type in PBI is ~500MB and my biggest string was 1.3MB so this is more likely a memory overflow issue. Anyway real issue is that if user does not pay enough attention they'll end up working with incomplete data without any notification

Cheers

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @PBI_ponderer 

You might wanna check the limitations on Google Big Query

https://cloud.google.com/bigquery/quotas

I don't think this has to do with Power Bi

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi Amine,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I found that it was actually a PBI issue: I was trying to import some text data and for some reason PBI didn't like it, when I removed that column containing text from the import - everything worked and it imported all of the rows. Have you ever had this experience before? It is strange because up until last week PBI was importing all of the rows with the text data but then just stopped.

Hello PBI_ponderer

i having the same issue, by any chance that column text data was a json code? or a massive amount of text?

Hi Allegro

It's  a buffer issue on the Bq connector knowed by Ms and Simba (the sub contractors) 

Don't hesitate to complain fort that on pbi issues forum

Hi @PBI_ponderer 

No I haven't met that issue. But before pointing finger on PBI you need to make sure what that column contains that causes the issue then act upon it. so by elemination look inside that column what is not correct, empty some rows from that column and verify... step by step you can find the issue.

Let me know

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.