Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ELW
Advocate II
Advocate II

Better to Pivot or UnPivot?

In general, is it better to have data pivoted or unpivoted if everything else is equal?  

I have an existing dashboard based off of survey data.  The old data is structured so that each response is a row, with each survey question as a column.  This works fine for most visuals.  

As we're starting to use Snowflake, the survey data has been loaded and I am working on connecting the existing dashboard to the same data in Snowflake.  It's set up in a transposed / unpivoted format where questions and responses are in rows.  I'm not sure if this is a Snowflake thing, or a decision that was made.  

ELW_0-1692296624314.png

My question is what is the best way to transform and load the data into PowerBI for loading speed and efficiency.  I believe I could either:

• Pivot the data into columns for each question, like the old data (lots of columns, less rows)
  • Leave it unpivoted, and update each visual to filter results for the relevant question. (few columns, more rows)
  • Split it into multiple tables for sets of questions. 
1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ELW 99.99% of the time, you want unpivoted data coming into Power BI. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.