Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Applicable88
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Best way to crop number for one kind Format

Hello,

I have a storage system which many different name formats, depending on the manufacturer of that system:

Storagetype Storage
Standard 01-01-01/1
Standard 01-01-01/2
Standard 01-01-02/1
Standard 01-01-02/1
Standard SP 1234
Standard SP 1235
EXPO 001-01-01
EXPO 001-01-02
EXPO 001-01-03
EXPO 001-01-04
EXTRA ET 1500
EXTRA ET 1501

The storagetype "Standard" has two different formats, the first one looks like this: "01-01-01" and the second one like "SP 1234". Unfortunately in storages with a format like "XX-XX-XX" the employees can manipulate the storage place and put two different products in one storage place instead of one. The only thing they need to do, so they can book  their second product is to add a number as a suffix. The first product is now in "01-01-01/1" and the second "01-01-01/2". Thats what we do internally, but in our storage capacity report we disregard that. The storage place of interest is only the distinct "01-01-01", "01-01-02" and so on.  So now we have many storage places which is double used and I need to disregard all the double usages. One way I thought is to simply crop away the last number and count the distinct storages. But I also have other storage types which has totally different formats like "ET 1501" and even the storagetype "Standard" has another name convention like "SP 1234", where I also cannot crop the number.

What is the best way to solve this problem?

Thank you very much in advance. 

Best. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Applicable88 ,

What is your expected result?

Do you want to split or extract numbers?

Split Column by Delimiter in Power BI and Power Query - RADACAD

Extract number from string power bi - deBUG.to

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-stephen-msft I want to rectify that column as good as possible. It doesn't matter if I extract or split the values in that column, as long it only changes those which has a suffix at the end like :

Standard 01-01-02/1
Standard 01-01-02/1
Standard SP 1234
Standard SP 1235

At the same time all other formats should stay the same. 

Is that possible?

Best.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.