Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automate SQL Queries run and store output in one of the tables of Power BI report

Hi Community,

I have some different requirement from Customer in relation to reporting (Snap shot in time ) . As of now,There are some SQL queries we have been running every day (Weekdays) and store the results in an excel spreadsheet . This Spreadsheet is placed in Sharepoint and then connected to Power BI for reporting through Get Data --> Share Point folder option. To follow this process everyday, some times it is getting hectic for us to do this entire process manually. 

So, I would like to know if there is any automated solution that can be implemented to avoid manual effort . The available tools i have are as shown below : 

- SQL Server Management studio 

- SSRS/SSIS/SSAS

- Power BI 

Please assist !!!!! 

Thanks,

G Venkatesh

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amit, Thanks for your reply. I looked at this post when i implemented Data Flows in my org . I used Incremental refresh before . However, now the biggest challenge is Some part of data to Power BI report comes from Sharepoint ( Sharepoint has a spreadsheet . Every day SQL queries are run and results are stored in spreadsheet) Rest of the data is through SQL as a data source. The reason why I use Sharepoint is - Customer wants a snap shot in time based on the counts i store in spreadsheet . I am not able to achieve that through Power BI .As I mentioned earlier , my requirement is quite different and it may not require DAX usage . I am stuck at - Automating SQL Queries to run at designated time and store results in spreadsheet . That Spreadsheet will be used in Power BI report late for reporting purposes.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on your description, you use SharePoint to export and save historical data every day. See if this blog can help you:https://visualbi.com/blogs/microsoft/powerbi/historical-data-preservation-using-power-bi-dataflow/ 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.