Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Authentication option for PBIDS files

Hello Gurus,

We are trying to connect to our SAP system (via single sign on using windows credentials) with the help of SAP connector  and it works fine.

After taking the export of the data source in PBIDS format , the "authenication" option is shows as null.

SBonkers_0-1640859291122.png

For a larger roll out the PBIDS file needs to contain the authenticatio details or is there a json format where we can modify the authentication details

Currently I have modified it as below but it still asks me for the authentication protocol 

{
"version": "0.1",
"connections": [
{
"details": {
"protocol": "sap-bw-olap",
"address": {
"server": "<hostname>",
"systemId": "VE3",
"clientId": "100",
"logonGroup": "PUBLIC"
},

"authentication": "Windows",
"SNCName": "p:CN=<name>",
"SNC_LIB_64": "sapcrypto.dll",
"query": null
},

"options": {
"LanguageCode": "EN",
"Implementation": "2.0"
},
"mode": "Import"
}
]
}

In a larger organization where there is larger roll out  for the power BI desktop and if the client is using single sign on , this prompt should not pop up in the first place otherwise it defies the whole purpose of SSO.

Is there a way we could bypass this?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankyou @Xiaoxin Sheng

However we are planning for a global roll out . To your point I understand pop of the authentication protocol(windows or database) is fine but then everytime we target for  lets say Single sign on  via Windows,the user always needs  to fill in the SCN service principal username which is not correct. This way we are not utilising the full fledged capability of single sign on. I was hoping atleast if the SCN service user pricipal name can come prepopulated under the windows authentication protocol. Is this possible ?

Regards

Hi @Anonymous,

Perhaps you can submit an idea to improve this feature usage, then these files used in a particular condition(e.g. same organizations, domain) without any other verifications.

Microsoft Power BI ideas

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

AFAIK, PBIDS is a pre-designed connection to a data source. They have integrated the raw data source connection to the files so users do not need to consider the raw data source type and connections. (for security reasons, it also includes additional validation for users who try to use this)

In my opinion, I think this additional verification is required. If pre-designed connection files are leaked, everyone who gets the file can use this to access the data source records without any additional permission or credentials. Obviously, they may cause data breaches and major security problems. 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.