Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ArcGIS map time slider error

Hi,

I have a dataset on the freedom of the press that I'm trying to visualise.

I am using ArcGIS map and would like to use the time slider to show how press freedom has changed over the years.

It all looks well for the start year:Capture.JPG

But then I click the arrow and it all goes empty:

Capture2.JPG

Same for all the subsequent years.

Here is a snapshot of my dataset:Capture3.JPG

Any ideas on what might be causing the issue and how to solve it?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MariaP 

I cannot even change the map theme! very strange

Hi @Anonymous ,

I have looked at your file and created 2 possible ideas showing bubble size changes over the years.

Firtslty with ESRI you are limited to 1500 data address points. You may have seen this message when you tried to run. This will be a limitation with the maps overall, and I have filtered to a few countries to show this working.

I created a switch statment to show PF, F and NF and gave each status a value which is what I then plotted against the country at each year. That way you can see the bubble size grow.  I have assumed F = Freedom (highest value), PF= PressFreedom (middle value) and NF = NoFreedom (lowest value)

Changing some settings in ESRI map then allowed me to select the bubbles, an option you could not initially see. Have a look at the attached file, it may help you progress further.  With both solutions bubble sizes change depending on freedom or not.  I could not extrapolate  how the Total score relates to the Status - This may be another approach you may want to pursue if these values can be grouped and tied to the Status.

Using default Map and 'Play Axis' custom visualUsing default Map and 'Play Axis' custom visualUsing ESRI Map, limited to a few countriesUsing ESRI Map, limited to a few countries

POWER BI FILE - PressFreedomV3

Cheers,
Maria

MariaP
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try adjusting the theme of the ArcGIS map as shown using the EDIT MAP from the ellipses in the top right hand corner of the map. You may then need to trial one country to see what is happening, perhaps the totals are too small to view the changes across the years. You may also need contiguous dates. If you add a table with your data on the same page this helps you see the 'Total Score' amount against each year.

I have created a similar sample with world population  and China had the largest growth from 1960 and the bubble size increased using the time scale nicely as  across the years. 

Filter to one country only to help you debug.

MappingSizeBubbles.PNG

If you can share a sample of data the community may be able to help further.

Further info: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/maps-for-powerbi/design/map-time-aware-data.htm

Cheers,
Maria

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately none of things you have mentioned seems to fix the issue. A sample data has been shared in the original post already.

This would be such a cool feature if only it worked.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can you share you pbix file?  Good to see the entire dataset.

Here is a sample file for you, this may help...

World Population Example

Maria

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MariaP 

Here is the pbix file

Also very weirdly the time slider in the sample file you shared has the same bug as what I described. Maybe it's something with my computer/PBI desktop?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.