Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Messer185

Applying a slicer to measure values in a custom table

So after hours of searching I cannot quite figure this one out.

I have a table of custom values that equal a measure. This table was made as the data points were needed for a funnel and pulling them from the original data set in order seemed difficult. If there is a different way to do this please let me know. 

Messer185_0-1667415435163.png

I want to take a slicer from Iquote Date table and apply it to the values of this table. I would think because all the measures used in the table are from the Iquote Data table that the slicers would work but they do not. Any ideas? Let me know if I need to provide any more info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Messer185,

Current power bi does not support to create dynamic calculated column/table based on filter selections. They not worked on the same data level so these expressions will be fixed to static values when you use in calculate column/table.

I'd like to suggest you create a custom table with specific category values, then you can write a measure formula to check current table value and selection to redirect to different calculations formulas.

My Favorite DAX Feature: SELECTEDVALUE with SWITCH | Winston-Salem Power BI User Group (pbiusergroup...

Notice: the data level of power bi(from parent to child level)

Database(external) -> query table(query, custom function, query parameters) -> data model table(table, calculate column/table) -> data view with virtual tables(measure, visual, filter, slicer)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Messer185,

Current power bi does not support to create dynamic calculated column/table based on filter selections. They not worked on the same data level so these expressions will be fixed to static values when you use in calculate column/table.

I'd like to suggest you create a custom table with specific category values, then you can write a measure formula to check current table value and selection to redirect to different calculations formulas.

My Favorite DAX Feature: SELECTEDVALUE with SWITCH | Winston-Salem Power BI User Group (pbiusergroup...

Notice: the data level of power bi(from parent to child level)

Database(external) -> query table(query, custom function, query parameters) -> data model table(table, calculate column/table) -> data view with virtual tables(measure, visual, filter, slicer)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
mariussve1
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

If I understand your usecase correct, I think "Field parameter" is what you should use. This can be used with a slicer to choose wich measure you want to show.

I see that "Field parameter" contains almost the same columns as your funnel table. You can also add extra columns, but at the moment naming the extra columns are Fixed and you cant change it. But maybe thats not important 🙂

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/power-bi-field-parameters

Br

Marius

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.