Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Append

Hi All,

I have a table and I need to append an excel file to it.

I do not want to import the data and then append. Instead, I want the excel file to be appended directly to the table.

Is that possible?

I am new to powerBI, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @Anonymous ,

sure. In Power Query click on the Query of the Excel that you don't want to load to the data model and unselect "Enable load":

selimovd_0-1629361521301.png

Afterwards the Excel will still be refreshed and used for the other table, but this specific table from the Excel file will not appear in the Data Model.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

There are three commonly used import modes : Import , Direct Query , Live Connection . Different data sources support different loading modes . The default loading mode of some local files(Excel, Text…) is Import .

So if you don’t want load data to Desktop ,you need append your data in your data sources not in Desktop .In this case, you can choose some databases as your data sources , like :SQL ,MySQL , Oracle Database and so on .

I have an article that specifically introduces the import modes of different data sources and the differences between different modes. You can refer to the link below .

https://radacad.com/directquery-live-connection-or-import-data-tough-decision

Back to your problem , if you append an excel file to your table in Desktop ,you must import the data in Desktop and then append .

But there is a feature that can make you not see that table on the Report View .Click more options for the append table and select Hide in it .In your Report View ,you cannot see the table that from Excel file . The view effect is hidden, but the data is still loaded into the Desktop .

Ailsamsft_0-1629355870580.pngAilsamsft_1-1629355870580.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You need to write some code in Power Query, for instance I created two excel files [File1 and File2] as following images:

VahidDM_0-1629203510370.png

VahidDM_1-1629203538778.png

Then I imported the file1 to the Power BI and open the Power Query, and changed the codes in the advaced Editor:

VahidDM_2-1629203681534.png

1- add the second file

2- align the columns names [in this exercise I just used Use First Rows as Headers [AKA "Promoted Headers"]

3- Append those 2 files

Codes are as below (Copy and pase this into the Advanced Editor on your computer and change file names and address)

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\doustimajdv\Desktop\Test\File1.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sheet1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet1_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    A = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\doustimajdv\Desktop\Test\File2.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sheet2_Sheet = A{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers1" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet2_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Appended Query1" = Table.Combine({#"Promoted Headers1", #"Promoted Headers"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Appended Query1",{{"A", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

the output will be as below:

VahidDM_6-1629204403763.gif

VahidDM_3-1629203890622.png

Applied Steps:

VahidDM_4-1629203933403.png

Output Table:

VahidDM_5-1629203957745.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos VahidDM_7-1629204455375.png !!

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

if you want to append it in Power Query you have to import it first. After appending it, you can disable the load of the original Excel table. Like this the original Excel table will not be loaded to the data model.

If you don't want to do that in Power Query you have to do it in the data source where your table is. Like in SQL Server, mySQL, Sharepoint and so on.

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @selimovd ,

Thank you for your response.

Can you please tell me on how to disable the load of original excel table.

I do not want the appended tables to be seen in the data model.

Thank you!

Hey @Anonymous ,

sure. In Power Query click on the Query of the Excel that you don't want to load to the data model and unselect "Enable load":

selimovd_0-1629361521301.png

Afterwards the Excel will still be refreshed and used for the other table, but this specific table from the Excel file will not appear in the Data Model.

Best regards
Denis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! @selimovd 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.