Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ihmoud008

Alternative text in empty visuals

Dear Team, 
I'm trying to develop a page in my MS Power BI report, the mentioned page contains multiple visuals/charts, and there is a page filter selection, when selecting this filter the visuals (all of them) they be empty I want to put message says "No Data Available" or something else however when the data comes later this message disappears and keep the filter as it is. Is there any resource or workaround solution I can follow? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

To display a “No Data Available” message in Power BI visuals when they are empty, you can follow these steps:

1. Create a Measure: Write a DAX formula to check if the visual is empty and return a message. Here’s an example measure you can use:
Measure = IF(ISBLANK(SUM(Table[Column])), "No Data Available", "")

Replace Table[Column] with your actual table and column names.

1. Create a Card Visual: Place a card visual over your chart and set it to display the measure’s value.

2. Adjust Visual Properties: Turn off the category label, background, visual headers, border, etc., to make it just pure text.

3. Use the Selection Pane: To manage the layering of visuals, use the Selection pane to bring the chart to the front, so it’s selectable over the card.

4. Set the Layout Order: Ensure the card visual is behind the chart visual in the selection pane to prevent it from blocking interactions with the chart.

Remember, if you’re connected to a live SSAS cube with an MDX model, you might not be able to add measures directly. 

Helping Links: Visit this link,

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Display-No-Data-Available-text-when-visual-is-empt...

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In case there is still a problem, please feel free and explain your issue in detail, It will be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can.

View solution in original post

Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @ihmoud008 
As you need to keep the interactivity of the visuals it is not recommended to put the object with the message up to them. 
But you can use the dynamic titles. 
For example, I have a bar graph with products and total sales :

Ritaf1983_0-1714028447933.png

If I'll select the category technology it will be blank :

Ritaf1983_1-1714028523162.png

To add a wanted message there is an option to create a measure like :

Title with message = if (ISBLANK([total_sales]), "Please select bla bla bla " , "Total sales by product" )
Ritaf1983_2-1714028838494.png

and to make the title more visible you can make it red with conditional formatting :

Ritaf1983_3-1714028972332.png

the pbix is attached 

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @ihmoud008 
As you need to keep the interactivity of the visuals it is not recommended to put the object with the message up to them. 
But you can use the dynamic titles. 
For example, I have a bar graph with products and total sales :

Ritaf1983_0-1714028447933.png

If I'll select the category technology it will be blank :

Ritaf1983_1-1714028523162.png

To add a wanted message there is an option to create a measure like :

Title with message = if (ISBLANK([total_sales]), "Please select bla bla bla " , "Total sales by product" )
Ritaf1983_2-1714028838494.png

and to make the title more visible you can make it red with conditional formatting :

Ritaf1983_3-1714028972332.png

the pbix is attached 

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

To display a “No Data Available” message in Power BI visuals when they are empty, you can follow these steps:

1. Create a Measure: Write a DAX formula to check if the visual is empty and return a message. Here’s an example measure you can use:
Measure = IF(ISBLANK(SUM(Table[Column])), "No Data Available", "")

Replace Table[Column] with your actual table and column names.

1. Create a Card Visual: Place a card visual over your chart and set it to display the measure’s value.

2. Adjust Visual Properties: Turn off the category label, background, visual headers, border, etc., to make it just pure text.

3. Use the Selection Pane: To manage the layering of visuals, use the Selection pane to bring the chart to the front, so it’s selectable over the card.

4. Set the Layout Order: Ensure the card visual is behind the chart visual in the selection pane to prevent it from blocking interactions with the chart.

Remember, if you’re connected to a live SSAS cube with an MDX model, you might not be able to add measures directly. 

Helping Links: Visit this link,

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Display-No-Data-Available-text-when-visual-is-empt...

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In case there is still a problem, please feel free and explain your issue in detail, It will be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.