Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

hamachekm
Helper I
Helper I

Allow end-users to input an unmasked User ID to filter model built with masked User ID

I have a Power BI model that is built using a masked User ID ("12ABC"), due to data privacy concerns.  

End users would like to be able to input the original unmasked User ID (think of Social Security Number or Tax ID number)  ("123456789") and be able to filter the model. 

Currently, we have a separate Excel model with VBA code for a custom hash function that allows this one-way look up to happen. I would like to put this all in Power BI, so there is no more Excel to use. 

I do not want an end user to be able to view all the unmasked User IDs. The user can input unmasked User ID and see if there is a match. I just do not want to allow a reverse lookup, where a user inputs all the masked User ID and then finds out the unmasked User ID.

Can you think of a way that this can be done?

Thanks,

Mike

3 REPLIES 3
hamachekm
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Polly - Thanks for checking, but I must say that your reply was not that helpful. I know that VBA is not in Power BI. I was explaining what I was doing in Excel as a way to help provide more information for solving this problem. 

I do think I have a solution here, and will post what I do when I have a chance. 

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hamachekm ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hamachekm ,

Power BI Desktop is an entirely separate application from Excel and it has no VBA interface currently. Someone has submitted this feature request here: VBA for Power BI Desktop You can click to vote it up.

If one the Service, you can use rls.Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.