Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

cbschley
Helper III
Helper III

Allow Business-User to Filter data model

Hello! I'm looking for a way to allow a business-user to filter out specific values in a given dimension. I'm using a Data Flow to bring in our dataset from Snowflake. From there, for testing-purposes, I have an excel document on OneDrive that defines which values are allowed. Long-term this would be managed by the user. 

With that in mind, how I go about filtering out the dataset in Power BI? I know we could use report-level filters, but that feels too far downstream. Curious to know if there is a way to implement this in the model before it hits Power BI desktop. 

5 REPLIES 5
cbschley
Helper III
Helper III

Hey @Mikelytics , the only stipulation is that I want to enable our end-users to manage that list which will be used for filtering. I have the additional DataFlow set up to bring in the Excel file, so now I'm trying to filter the data based on this list. Is there a way to enable filtering in the Power BI Model without using Report-Level Filters?

Hi  @cbschley 

only for my understanding. Do you know the difference between a dataflow, dataset and report in Power BI?

2nd questions: What is the target regarding your users. What will they do with the data and how will they comsume it? Do they have experience in building data models in Power BI?

Best regards

Michael

------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!

I'm very new to Data Flows, but otherwise very comfortable with datasets and reports in Power BI. 

ok, so looking on dataflow in a first place you unfortunately need Power BI Premium to bring your Excel data and the dataflow data together (before hitting Power BI Desktop) so that you are able to use it to pre-filter the data for end-users.

Lets say you have Power BI Premium then you could go with the approach with the sub data flows I described above.

Without Power BI Premium the only chance I see is to provide datasets using Power BI Desktop and put a RLS on top.

Unfortunately I have no other idea so far based on your description. sorry 😕

Best regards

Michael

Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!
Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @cbschley 

If I understand correctly you want to make sure that the data from the dataflow are filtered before they will be provided to other users, right? and you use an excel document to define the permission rules.

So if you have Power BI Premium you could implement additional Dataflows based on your main Dataflow from Snowdflake. You create a new data flow, connect to the mainflow, bring in the Excel data and define your logic.

Other option would be to create directly in the beginning multiple dataflows based on snowflake to meet your individual target groups.

Other option would be to use Row-level-security but for that you need to build a dataset using Power BI Desktop which from my understanding you do not want to do, right?

Best regards

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your thumbs up!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.