Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AUaero
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Aggregations used in new measure (Composite Model)

Hi,

I've got a composite model with an aggregation table as described here (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-aggregations).  The aggregations work great for providing summary data against my direct query table.  Here's my question - I want to calculated a running total for one of the fields that is being aggregated in my aggregate table.  Does Power BI use the value from the aggregate table or does it cause a query against the data source?

Example -

Direct Query table = FactDQ, columns Workcenter, Date, Order Number, Customer Number, Labor_Hours, Setup_Hours

Aggregate Table = FactAgg, columns Workcenter, Date, Labor_Hours, Setup_Hours

FactAgg was created in Power Query by using Group By to summarize the data from FactDQ over Workcenter and Date.

Measures -

# Labor Hours  = Sum(FactDQ[Labor_Hours])

# Labor Hours Cumulative = Calculate([# Labor Hours], Filter(All('Calendar'[Date]), 'Calendar[Date] <= Max('Calendar'[Date]))

Since I'm using the aggregation feature, when my Power BI report queries # Labor Hours, it returns a result from the aggregate table rather than the direct query table.

To restate the question - when # Labor Hours Cumulative calculates, since it's referencing a measure that is being fed by the aggregation, does this trigger a query to the underlying data source, or is the query answered from the aggregate table?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @AUaero ,

This depends on the storage mode of your aggregate table. If you set the storage mode of FactAgg to Direct Query, it will trigger a query to the underlying data source, If you set the storage mode of FactAgg to Import, the query is answered from the aggregate table.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.