Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Advanced use of tables - from "The Definititive Guide to DAX Second Edition"

I'm reviewing some concepts in this book and I'm missing something in one of the examples. It is on p67 if you have the book. Here is the issue I am hitting:

The following table formula generates a table of only categories and subcategories where the sales are greater than twice the average sales:

BestCategories = 
VAR Subcategories =
    ALL ( 'Product'[Category], 'Product'[Subcategory] )
VAR AverageSales =
    AVERAGEX (
        Subcategories,
        SUMX ( RELATEDTABLE ( Sales ), Sales[Quantity] * Sales[Net Price] )
    )
VAR TopCategories =
    FILTER (
        Subcategories,
        VAR SalesOfCategory =
        RETURN
            SalesOfCategory >= AverageSales * 2
    )
RETURN
    TopCategories

The problem is I am not understanding how RELATEDTABLE is working here. How is the Sales table related to the table created in the Subcategories variable?

If I create a table this way:

BestCategory Analysis = ALL('Product'[Category],'Product'[Subcategory])

I get a list of all categories and subcategories. Simple enough.

Then if I create the following measure....

Total Sales = 
    SUMX(
        RELATEDTABLE(Sales),
        Sales[Unit Price] * Sales[Quantity]
    )

I get the same value for all rows in the table when using the Table visual. Same thing if I use a calculated column. The 

So why is the relationship working in the big table creation in the first table formula above? See the "F 03 07.pbix" file in the sample data for the book.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
4 REPLIES 4
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @edhans ,

Based on my understand, For the FILTER function in TopCategories,  Boolean expression

VAR SalesOfCategory =
        RETURN

well be evaluated for each row of the table Subcategories, such as for the row "Category = Computers and Subcategory = Laptops", it contain sub-table of product , this sub-table contain multi distinct ProductKeys.

8.jpg

Because Table Production and Table Sales has relationship between ProductionKey, so use RELATEDTABLE ( Sales ) can get the related sub-table of sales based on the ProductionKey, so we can compute the total sales using SUMX for each row of Subcategories and return a boolen value to filter the Subcategories tables

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

I think what you are missing is  the following:

the formula can also ve written as Follow:

FILTER (
         ALL ( 'Product'[Category], 'Product'[Subcategory] ),
        VAR SalesOfCategory =
        RETURN
    )

Which is why the related table is working, since it is using the Product table relationship to the Sales table.

On the same that you show that did not work, you are missing the Product table:

Total Sales = 
    SUMX(
        RELATEDTABLE(Sales),
        Sales[Unit Price] * Sales[Quantity]
    )

It is only calculating the SUMX for all the rows in Sales since you are adding the other table.

If I answer your question, please mark my post as a solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Tomas Santandreu Polanco |Principal Business Intelligence Consultant
www.designmind.com

Thanks @Anonymous . I did leave the product table out. But still struggling to get a measure to return the total sales. My issue here is trying to work through building this in steps before consolidating into one nice table as the book shows. I'm trying to build step by step.

Your version is also returning a table though, not the total sales or average sales. That is a separate issue though as my leaving out the product table in the ALL() function was why I was getting the same result. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi @edhans ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.