Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BenGnichwitz

Add multiple columns together across tables with one being a measure

Hello Community,

I have a data model consisting of stock, invoiced and open orders. All are related to a common date dimension. I want to create a table visual displaying these values next to each other on different levels (customer, resource).

In addition I want the user to be able to filter invoiced and open orders using a Slicer by month and year ( I do not have month and year as a column in the table visual).

I do not want the inventory to be fitlered by month and year. The inventory is the current inventory and it should always display as such. I do have one snapshot of the inventory that is dated current date and linked like that to the date dimension.

So in order for the slicer to not filter the inventory I had to make a measure:

CALCULATE(SUM('LDW VW_INVENTORY_DAILY'[QTY SQM]),ALL('LDW DIM_DATES_GBL'[Month]),ALL('LDW DIM_DATES_GBL'[Year]))

I want another column to simply show:

CALCULATE(SUM('LDW VW_INVENTORY_DAILY'[QTY SQM]),ALL('LDW DIM_DATES_GBL'[Month]),ALL('LDW DIM_DATES_GBL'[Year]))+Open Order + Invoiced Orders

But I do not get it to work. I tried using a variable but it won't let me use the variable in the SUM(SUM(invoived)+SUM(openorder)+SUM(Inventory variable). It complains the variable is not of the right type.

How can I create a measure like this? 

Inventory+Open Orders+Actual YTD SQM =
var inventory_unfiltered=CALCULATE(SUM('LDW VW_INVENTORY_DAILY'[QTY SQM]),ALL('LDW DIM_DATES_GBL'[Month]),ALL('LDW DIM_DATES_GBL'[Year]))
return
SUM(SUM(inventory_unfiltered)+SUM('LDW VW_OPS_BACKLOG_GBL'[Qty])+SUM('LDW VW_INVOICED_YTD'[SQM])+SUM('LDW STG_ENTERED_ORDERS_FOR'[Entered Orders Qty SQM]) )

Error: The SUM function only accepts a column reference as an argument.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@BenGnichwitz , You should join the other two tables and do not join inventory with the date table, You can filter a month from the date table and sum of other two will be month-wise and inventory will be full

You can also get month value using

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BenGnichwitz

@amitchandak 

So you say it should work if I do not creete a relation at all to the dim table from the inventory table? I will need to try this.

What worked for me now is:

Inventory+Open Orders+Actual YTD SQM = CALCULATE(SUM('LDW VW_INVENTORY_DAILY'[QTY SQM]),ALL('LDW DIM_DATES_GBL'[Month]),ALL('LDW DIM_DATES_GBL'[Year]))+SUM('LDW VW_INVENTORY_DAILY'[QTY SQM])+SUM('LDW VW_OPS_BACKLOG_GBL'[Qty])+SUM('LDW VW_INVOICED_YTD'[SQM])+SUM('LDW STG_ENTERED_ORDERS_FOR'[Entered Orders Qty SQM])

Thank you for your quick response. It really helps, when you are not feeling completly alone in case of a problem in PBI you can't solve yourself.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@BenGnichwitz , You should join the other two tables and do not join inventory with the date table, You can filter a month from the date table and sum of other two will be month-wise and inventory will be full

You can also get month value using

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.