Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Accessing measures from another table

General info:
- Table A contains [Product codes], for each [Product code] there can be up to several [Material codes].

- Each of those [Material codes] connects with a dictionary Table B (1 to Many) where it has exactly one [Container code].

- Each [Container code] connects with Table C (1 to many) where it has several measures built(code below).

Problem:

- for each [Product code] i need to access measures. Model seems to be very heavy and doesn't produce wanted outcome. I would appreciate help and suggestions on how to write formula that can access it directly from table A.

Example of a measure:
Purpose of this formula is to find top selling customer, by pieces, for each [Container code].

Top sold customer=

VAR max_value =

CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Sales Activity'[Pieces] ), ALLEXCEPT ( 'Sales Activity','Sales Activity'[Container Code]) )

RETURN

CALCULATE (

MAX ( 'Sales Activity'[Customer] ),

FILTER ( ALLEXCEPT ('Sales Activity','Sales Activity'[Container code] ), 'Sales Activity'[Pieces] = max_value )

)
Table A

Product Code

Material code

a_10

mat_1

a_10

mat_2

a_20

mat_1

Table B

Material code

Container code

mat_1

cont_23

mat_2

cont_42

mat_3

cont_11

Table C

Container code

pieces sold

Cust. Name

Top sold Cust.

cont_23

customer_A

customer_C

cont_23

customer_B

customer_C

cont_23

customer_C

customer_C

cont_42

customer_B

customer_B

Desired outcome:

Product code

Material code

Top sold Cust.

a_10

mat_1

customer_C

a_10

mat_2

customer_B

a_20

mat_1

customer_C

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Zoe,

Thank you for replying.

Although small relationship like this one looks ok, the roblem was with measures inside Table C transfered to Table A.

Purpose of those measures was to extract value, for a record that had maximum number of pieces in a group by code.

With a lot of digging a found a solution to my problem. I had to create new table based on Table.Max() and then link it together. It works fast and does exactly what needed. I am leaving a link to an article that helped me.

https://excelgorilla.com/power-bi/power-query/reach-underlying-rows-using-table-max/

Thank you for trying to help 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous ,

Table C does not have materialcode sold.

The output desired row  can not be achieved without material code in Table C

a_10

mat_2

customer_B

Please clarify

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @CheenuSing, thank You for replying,

I am not sure I understand your question. Desired outcome table gets its data through relatioships. If you refer to measure, I had to change names of some of the columns to make more sense here, but I think everything necessary is here unless you can tell more if I am wrong.

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous , 

I am not clear about your requirement, if you want to get above result , you also could could create relationship between these tables like below, then it should work.

594.PNG595.PNG

By the eay, if this is not what you want, please correct me and inform me more detailed information(such as your expected output and your sample data)? Then I will help you more correctly.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Zoe,

Thank you for replying.

Although small relationship like this one looks ok, the roblem was with measures inside Table C transfered to Table A.

Purpose of those measures was to extract value, for a record that had maximum number of pieces in a group by code.

With a lot of digging a found a solution to my problem. I had to create new table based on Table.Max() and then link it together. It works fast and does exactly what needed. I am leaving a link to an article that helped me.

https://excelgorilla.com/power-bi/power-query/reach-underlying-rows-using-table-max/

Thank you for trying to help 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.