Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

NISHA_S
Resolver I
Resolver I

Accessing dataset by end users and refresh in power bi

I have published a report to power bi service from desktop and as am the owner so that i can refresh the dataset in power bi.Currently my doubt is if one of the endusers need to refersh these dataset ,how they can refresh withou my help?While i go through search i got one solution from this link

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Allow-others-to-refresh-dataset/m-p/926942..

But my doubt from the link is they mention like these point those users in the App Workspace should be able to connect to the Gateway and refresh the dataset. .Is App Workspace is the workspace  that user created manually inside power bi?What is the differnce between APP worskpace and workspace? So...from the link i got like we have to add the users to particular datasource for accessing it ...Then whether we need to shared workspace with that particular user for giving him them for accessing data refresh?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NISHA_S ,

Workspaces are containers for dashboards, reports, datasets, and dataflows in Power BI. In Power BI Service, there are two types of workspaces: My workspace and workspaces. Or, we can say My workspace and App workspaces. 

For the differences between My workspace and (App) workspaces, please check:

• My workspace is the personal workspace for any Power BI customer to work with your own content. Only you have access to your My workspace. You can share dashboards and reports from your My Workspace. If you want to collaborate on dashboards and reports, or create an app, then you want to work in a workspace.

• Workspaces are used to collaborate and share content with colleagues. You can add colleagues to your workspaces and collaborate on dashboards, reports, workbooks, and datasets. With one exception, each workspace member needs a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license

Reference: Basic concepts for designers in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Currently, there are also two types of App workspace: Classic workspace (V1) and New workspace (V2).

For the differences between Classic workspace (V1) and New workspace (V2), please refer to this document: 

Organize work in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

But my doubt from the link is they mention like these point those users in the App Workspace should be able to connect to the Gateway and refresh the dataset. .Is App Workspace is the workspace  that user created manually inside power bi?What is the differnce between APP worskpace and workspace?

Therefore, "App Workspace" mentioned in the post is the same as "workspace".

If you want to let end users to refresh dataset whenever they want, there are two options:

Option1: Just like the post you refer to.

Option2: Use Power Automate (Previously called Microsoft Flow) to refresh a Power BI dataset via button click in a Power BI report. You can refer to these posts:

Allow End Users To Refresh Dataset Whenever They Want (On Demand) (c-sharpcorner.com)

Refreshing a Power BI Dataset by Button Click with Power Automate | BI Elite

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NISHA_S ,

Workspaces are containers for dashboards, reports, datasets, and dataflows in Power BI. In Power BI Service, there are two types of workspaces: My workspace and workspaces. Or, we can say My workspace and App workspaces. 

For the differences between My workspace and (App) workspaces, please check:

• My workspace is the personal workspace for any Power BI customer to work with your own content. Only you have access to your My workspace. You can share dashboards and reports from your My Workspace. If you want to collaborate on dashboards and reports, or create an app, then you want to work in a workspace.

• Workspaces are used to collaborate and share content with colleagues. You can add colleagues to your workspaces and collaborate on dashboards, reports, workbooks, and datasets. With one exception, each workspace member needs a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license

Reference: Basic concepts for designers in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Currently, there are also two types of App workspace: Classic workspace (V1) and New workspace (V2).

For the differences between Classic workspace (V1) and New workspace (V2), please refer to this document: 

Organize work in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

But my doubt from the link is they mention like these point those users in the App Workspace should be able to connect to the Gateway and refresh the dataset. .Is App Workspace is the workspace  that user created manually inside power bi?What is the differnce between APP worskpace and workspace?

Therefore, "App Workspace" mentioned in the post is the same as "workspace".

If you want to let end users to refresh dataset whenever they want, there are two options:

Option1: Just like the post you refer to.

Option2: Use Power Automate (Previously called Microsoft Flow) to refresh a Power BI dataset via button click in a Power BI report. You can refer to these posts:

Allow End Users To Refresh Dataset Whenever They Want (On Demand) (c-sharpcorner.com)

Refreshing a Power BI Dataset by Button Click with Power Automate | BI Elite

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.