Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

armvoss
Helper I
Helper I

Acces Database Power Bi Desktop says Table is Empty. Is it authorisation problem?

Hello,

i tried the Access Connector in Power Bi Desktop. The Access file contains several Tables. When i try to import any table PBI Desktop tells me: Table is empty.

One table works in the preview.

In all tables are data. the one table i need contain over 4.000.000 rows.

i tried the access connector and the odbc connector

If i click transform data for the "empty table" in Power BI it says: 

table does not contain supported data types.

i googled it also found a solution in this forum. the table i need has a composite key. column 1 is key and column 2 is a key.

when i remove the keys import works fine.

when i trie the odbc connector on the file with the 2 keys: i get the message: you dont have the authorisation.  

if i export the table i need in a seperate acces database file and the two keys are still there the import in PBI desktops works perfectly fine.

The Access Database file is generated with a user i dont have access to.

When i use the ODBC connector with a user of sufficient rights: can i import the data from the original access file direct into PBI desktop?

1 REPLY 1
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @armvoss ,

Based on your description, if Power BI Desktop shows the table as empty, it could be due to an unsupported data type or a problem with the Access database engine. Since you mentioned that deleting the key imports fine, it appears that the composite key may be causing the problem. You can take the following steps:
Make sure you have the correct version of the Access database engine installed. It should match the version of Power BI Desktop (32-bit or 64-bit). Check that the data types in the Access table are supported by Power BI.
Authorization errors when using the ODBC connector may be related to the permissions of the user account you are using. First, verify that the user account has sufficient privileges to access the Access database file. If you are using an Active Directory account for authentication, make sure that you specify the correct authentication method in the ODBC connection string. Consider creating a separate data source name (DSN) for the Access database with the appropriate permissions.
You can download the latest version of the Access database engine at this link
Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Cent...

Best regards,

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.