Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

A measure that allows a column to be read without affecting

Good morning, I'm trying to create a measure that involves more than one table using the SELECTEDVALUE code, but for this, I first need to make another measure that allows me to read a column of unmodified text data, and that lets me present it in a table visual. Is there a way to achieve this?

1 REPLY 1
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

Yes, you can create a measure that involves data from multiple tables, and you can also leverage the SELECTEDVALUE function in DAX in Power BI.

To create a measure that displays unmodified text data in a table visual, you need to ensure that the relationships between the tables are set up correctly to allow the measure to retrieve and display the data as needed.

If your goal is to display specific text data based on some selection or condition, you can use the SELECTEDVALUE function to return the currently selected value in the specified column, optionally specifying a default value if there is no value.

Assuming you have two tables, Table1 and Table2, and you want to display a text value from Table2 based on a selection made in a visual that primarily uses Table1.

Ensure Relationships: Make sure there's a relationship between Table1 and Table2 on a column that both tables can logically join on. This relationship is crucial for measures to work across tables.

Creating a Measure for Text Data:
You want to create a measure in Table1 that fetches and displays text from Table2 based on the current selection or context established by Table1.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.