Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

martensf
Helper I
Helper I

400 Error connecting to existing datasets

Hi all - I've got a user who is unable to connect to any of the datasets currently in any of our Service workspaces. I'm able to connect to them fine, and he can see the full list of datasets when he follows Get Data>Power BI Dataset, but when he attempts to connect to any of these (even the ones in his own workspace) he gets a (400) Bad Request error.  Looking at the giant error message he got by copying it to his clipboard, this part jumped out at me:

PowerBINonFatalError:

{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.110.805.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService","Error":"System.Net.WebException","MethodDef":"AllowModalDialogs","ErrorOffset":"43"}

Has anyone seen this before?

2 REPLIES 2
sevenhills
Super User
Super User

Typically, this happens either user is not authorized, credential issue, does not have permissions, firewall issues.

Based on your post, I doubt this is more related to firewall.

Also check this link https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-error-launching-desktop

Thanks - it doesn't seem to be any of those issues. Further experimentation has showed us that this user is able to connect to this dataset in other .pbix files; the issue is limited to one specific pbix. Some setting in that .pbix is preventing him from connecting. There is some overlap between the tables in the pbix's existing dataset and the tables in the dataset we're importing; I wonder if that's part of the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.