Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alejoh
Helper I
Helper I

30 day trailing problem

Hello, fairly new to Power BI and I hope to get the answer to if my problem can be solved or it can´t by using power bi.

Problem: 

Students absent 1 class should be reported after 30 working days after first absent class. For example student is sick day 5 and on day 35 (working days) it should be reported. Student nr 278 is last sick or absent on day 7 that should be reported day 37 after absent class. 

I want to know if it is possible to build a Power BI solution without an underlying database, just excel files to fetch data from ( probably using a starschema). That will send an indication when students are sick after 30 days. 

Ex 2: Student 1 is sick day 8 and absent from class day 17. Student 2 is absent day 16 and 17 and 18. 

Student 1 should be indicated day 38 and student 2 indicated day 46

Students must be unique and cant be grouped together. Preferably an email should be sent whenever a 30 day indication is hit (not a must)

(Hope I could write my question in a clear and easily understood way)

4 REPLIES 4
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @alejoh,

For your requirement,  it's impossible to achieve in Power BI. Sending email is unsupported in Power BI desktop, even there is email subscription feature in Power Bi service, which is only used when data is updated. In your scenario, you will send an indication dynamically based on absent day, it seems need a dynamic parameter, it's hard to get it in Power BI.

Here there are some email subscription feature requests, you can review and vote them, you will can create a new one here.

Email links : Mailto feature should allow entering subject line and message – Microsoft Power BI
Subscribe *others* to emails of reports
Allow customization of email subscription schedule – Microsoft Power BI
Support for custom visuals in email subscriptions feature

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thank you Angelia for your answer. A pity with the email function, then I must connect it to azure and buil a logic app if I want that feature. 

But the email function was only meant as a good thing to have. My main question was if it was possible to use trailing dates as a parameter. 

And after I read some more it seems it should be possible (perhaps using dateadd) ?

Hi @alejoh,

You said the parameter in query like this

Best Regards,
Angelia

alejoh
Helper I
Helper I

Hello, fairly new to Power BI and I hope to get the answer to if my problem can be solved or it can´t by using power bi.

Problem: 

Students absent 1 class should be reported after 30 working days after first absent class. For example student is sick day 5 and on day 35 (working days) it should be reported. Student nr 278 is last sick or absent on day 7 that should be reported day 37 after absent class. 

I want to know if it is possible to build a Power BI solution without an underlying database, just excel files to fetch data from ( probably using a starschema). That will send an indication when students are sick after 30 days. 

Ex 2: Student 1 is sick day 8 and absent from class day 17. Student 2 is absent day 16 and 17 and 18. 

Student 1 should be indicated day 38 and student 2 indicated day 46

Students must be unique and cant be grouped together. Preferably an email should be sent whenever a 30 day indication is hit (not a must)

(Hope I could write my question in a clear and easily understood way)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.