Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ovonel
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

filter only a dimension and not the fact?

This is a RLS question: I need to show the user’s own data and also Totals; but NOT data from any other specific user.

I have my Fact and DimUser.

In the FILTERS, I have a “user name” filter, where all users shall select/see only  themselves. (there’s a few super-users who should select among all users…)

On my .pbix I show 2 visuals:

• Visual 1: own’s user data,
  • Visual 2: shows totals for all users.

I am able to do this because  I use DAX’s  REMOVEFILTERS function.

How can I do the RLS I need? The user accessing shall see her/his own data and also totals; but not any other user specific data.

I am already doing the RLS in the USERS dimension using [username]= USERNAME()  but of course, its filtering all the way to my fact and my Visual2 gets messed and both visual display on the user's data...

2 REPLIES 2
ldittmann970
Advocate III
Advocate III

I was able to acheive this using Chris Webb's solution found here: Stopping Some Users Seeing Certain Columns Or Measures In Your Power BI Report With Object Level Sec... which allows you to switch between the measures the end-user sees - either the summarized version or the 'full' version, using field parameters. Makes for a smaller cube than having to duplicate the fact as mentioned by another suggestion.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"but also totals"  usually means you need an aggregated shadow copy of your fact table that has no PII and is not controlled by RLS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors