Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to pass a variable using LOOKUPVALUE

I'm currently trying to pull a value from a different row in a table using the LOOKUPVALUE command but I'm encountering a problem.

Landmark = 
VAR trailerid = 'Table'[Trailer ID]
RETURN
LOOKUPVALUE('Table'[Landmark], 'Table'[Index], 'Table'[Index Prior],'Table'[Trailer ID], trailerid)

Above is the code I've been trying to use but it doesnt work in its current state and I get the error "A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected." 

However, when I format like so:

Landmark Prior = 
LOOKUPVALUE('Table'[Landmark], 'Table'[Index], 'Table'[Index Prior],'Table'[Trailer ID], "8543")

The above code works properly when formatted manually for the trailer id "8543". 

Is there a particular reason why trying to pass a variable through will not work on this code?   I can provide more context if necessary, I'm just hoping I did something stupid thats easy to fix at first glance from somebody smarter than me.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

Are you trying to use LOOKUPVALUE on the dimension table and the values are on the many side of the relationship? If yes, then you should use an Iterator like FILTER & RELATEDTABLE to get a list of all the values that are related to the current row in the table.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Try

minx(filter('Table','Table'[Index] = earlier( 'Table'[Index Prior]) && 'Table'[Trailer ID] = "8543"),'Table'[Landmark])

Or

minx(filter('Table','Table'[Index] = earlier( 'Table'[Index]) && 'Table'[Trailer ID] = "8543"),'Table'[Landmark])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.