Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dwelsh
Advocate I
Advocate I

Sum of Transactions Containing Filtered Items outside Filtered Date Range

I have a request to display different type of sale information for items grouped by a filter called Flyer. The data needs to be grouped by a filtered date and the 90 days prior to the filtered date. Here is my data sources and relationships:

relationships.png

I have been able to create most of the measures I need but there is one I am struggling with. For the 90 day prior period, I need to get the transactions total when any item on the Flyer filter group is on a transaction. In other words, for all transactionIDs with a flyer item on it in the prior 90 day period, I want to sum all items on these transactionIDs to find all item sales.

Below are some of the measures I have been able to get to work and confirm they return correct values:

Sale total for Items in filtered date range and Flyer Group:

Sales Period = sum(Sales[Sales])

Sale total for Items 90 day prior to filtered date range and filtered Flyer group:

Sales Prior = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales]),DATESBETWEEN(dimDate[Date],[Period Prior 90 Start Date],[Period Prior 90 End Date]))

Transactions Total for Items:

Sales With Flyer Items = CALCULATE([Sales Period], DISTINCT(Sales[TransactionID]),all(FlyerItems[Flyer]))

Here is what I came up with but it doesn't return any results:

Sales With Flyer Items Prior = CALCULATE([Sales Prior], DISTINCT(Sales[TransactionID]),all(FlyerItems[Flyer]))

I believe it is failing because DISTINCT(Sales[TransactionID]) is not returning any results in the Sales Prior period but I don't know how to fix it. 

Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@dwelsh , What are trying to do here

Sales With Flyer Items = CALCULATE([Sales Period], DISTINCT(Sales[TransactionID]),all(FlyerItems[Flyer]))

This can be like

Sales With Flyer Items = CALCULATE(sumx(values(Sales[TransactionID]), [Sales Period]), ,all(FlyerItems[Flyer]))

Same way the last one

Last two what you are trying to do

Thanks @amitchandak. I apologize I wasn't clear. The 'Sales With Flyer Items' measure is working correctly. I am trying to do the same thing with the measure 'Sales With Flyer Items Prior' but it is coming back blank when using:

Sales With Flyer Items Prior = CALCULATE([Sales Prior], DISTINCT(Sales[TransactionID]),all(FlyerItems[Flyer]))

I think this because in the above DISTINCT(Sales[TransactionID]) is only returning TransactionIDs from the filtered period and not from the Prior 90 Day date range.  How can I get the sum of all transactions from the past 90 days where at least one flyer item is on the transaction?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors