Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Frequent Visitor

Slicer with overlapping values

Hi

A newbie here. I've tried searching in the forum without luck. I'm looking to apply filter on a set of values where some of the rows may belong to mulitple categories. For example:

ItemNameCategory
AppleFruit
PotatoVegetable
Tomato

Both

I want to add a filter(slicer) on Category, but it should only show Fruit & Vegetable as the filter catogires. When selecting fruit, both tomato & apple should be returned, and similarly both tomato & potato when filtered on vegetable. Trying to create a new measure as the filter without luck. Can you pls help? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @047 ,

If your sample cannot make relationship, you can try this method.

1.Create a table with all categories, donn't make relationship between the two tables.

vkalyjmsft_0-1648007016745.png

2. Create a measure.

Check =
IF (
    NOT ( ISFILTERED ( 'Table (2)'[Category] ) ),
    IF (
        ISFILTERED ( 'Table (2)'[Category] )
            && (
                MAX ( 'Table'[Category] ) = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table (2)'[Category] )
                    || MAX ( 'Table'[Category] ) = "Both"
            ),
    )
)

3.Put the new category table in the slicer, and put the measure in the ItemName visual filter, select the value is 1.

Get the correct result.

vkalyjmsft_1-1648007176613.png

I attach my sample below for reference.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @047 ,

If your sample cannot make relationship, you can try this method.

1.Create a table with all categories, donn't make relationship between the two tables.

vkalyjmsft_0-1648007016745.png

2. Create a measure.

Check =
IF (
    NOT ( ISFILTERED ( 'Table (2)'[Category] ) ),
    IF (
        ISFILTERED ( 'Table (2)'[Category] )
            && (
                MAX ( 'Table'[Category] ) = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table (2)'[Category] )
                    || MAX ( 'Table'[Category] ) = "Both"
            ),
    )
)

3.Put the new category table in the slicer, and put the measure in the ItemName visual filter, select the value is 1.

Get the correct result.

vkalyjmsft_1-1648007176613.png

I attach my sample below for reference.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Kalyj.

Sorry for my late reply. I was a bit preoccupied and couldn't check your solution. As you've already tested, your solution works well. Sorry for not being clear enough with my requirement, but my case is a little bit different.

First, my Category slicer is set to single select, so I modified the measure to exclude the check for isfiltered.

Check2 =
IF( MAX ( 'Table'[Category] ) = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table (2)'[Category] ) || MAX ( 'Table'[Category] ) = "Both",1,0)

But, In my case, there're multiple visuals on the same/different pages of the report. I was unable to set the measure Check or Check2 as a page/report level filter. Any suggestions?

What I'm doing as a temporary workaround is to duplicate all records where category is 'both'. One of the duplicated rows has Category set as 'Vegetable' & the other row as 'Fruit'. Thanks

Whitewater100
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi:

If you set up your model a bit different it it easier.

Please see attached. I hope this helps!https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IHA0JL2M-_il6S6N_ggGP8Jq_MR0812K/view?usp=sharing 

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @047 ,

Has your problem been solved by @amitchandak 's solution, if yes, please consider accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If not, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@047 , Create a new table like this join with the above tbale many to many bi-direction and use cat name for filter

Category Cat Name
Fruit Fruit
Vegetable Vegetable
Both Fruit
Both Vegetable

Hi @amitchandak 

Thanks for your reply. It seems correct intutively, but I'm unable to implement it in power BI. When trying to create a relationship between 'New Table'[Category] to 'Existing Table'[Category], it says that the relationship could not be created becuase one of the columns must contain unique values. In fact, I don't even see the option of 'many-to-many' cardinality in the dropdown list. Does it require creation of an intermediate table with unique values? Thanks.

To clarify, I'm using Power BI Desktop Optimized for Power BI Report Server - May 2021.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors