Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sonm10
Helper I
Helper I

Slicer to filter two column without context

Hello,

I have a sample dataset as follows:

ProductCategoryTypeSellerBuyerCost
Product1Cat1Type1AC10
Product2Cat2Type1CA20
Product3Cat2Type2CB30
Product4Cat1Type3AC15
Product5Cat3Type3BA16

I have a column Seller and Buyer, that contains their name. A seller for one product can be a buyer for another product and vice versa. So basically, the two coumns will have many similar values. I need to have a single slicer to filter both these columns. The slicer have to be the union of these two column and should filter the rows if either or both the column has the slicer value.

I have implemented a solution as per this: Solved: Re: Once Slicer for multiple columns - Microsoft Power BI Community, where we create a measure on the union column. It was working as expected when the said two columns are available in the visual. The issue arises when the context changes, such as if we only select the Product and Amount fields in a table, the slicer will not have any effect. I require the slicer to filter the rows regardless of the context.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@sonm10 

I created a new table combining Seller and Buyer with distinct values then created a measure that identifies if the selected values (One or more) is found then filters the table. Check the attached file

Fowmy_0-1647635270028.png

Exists = 
VAR __SellerBuyerSelected = VALUES( BuyerSeller[Buyer] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE(
        COUNTROWS(table1),
        Table1[Buyer] IN __SellerBuyerSelected || Table1[Seller] IN __SellerBuyerSelected
    )

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

@Fowmy, Thanks for your solution. It is working as expected however, when we only have the buyer, seller and cost columns in the table, the silcer is not working. For that, I have added an additional field (although not required in that particular table) for the slicer to work.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@sonm10 

I created a new table combining Seller and Buyer with distinct values then created a measure that identifies if the selected values (One or more) is found then filters the table. Check the attached file

Fowmy_0-1647635270028.png

Exists = 
VAR __SellerBuyerSelected = VALUES( BuyerSeller[Buyer] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE(
        COUNTROWS(table1),
        Table1[Buyer] IN __SellerBuyerSelected || Table1[Seller] IN __SellerBuyerSelected
    )

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

@Fowmy, Thanks for your solution. It is working as expected however, when we only have the buyer, seller and cost columns in the table, the silcer is not working. For that, I have added an additional field (although not required in that particular table) for the slicer to work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.