Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sensor value index measure DAX

Good morning all,

I ask for your help with a measure.
I have a dataset with the following columns:

Image1.png

I would like to create an index based on the values ​​of a sensor. The sensor values ​​should be sorted in descending order. I managed to create the index with the RANKX function like in the following picture:

Image2.png

But unfortunately several sensor values ​​are repeated and the index does not continue to increase. Clearly, I would like to do as in this Excel:

Image3.png

Thank you in advance for your help,

Have a good day

Joel

10 REPLIES 10
AlB
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

I'm getting a bit lost. I thought all you needed was solved with the M part. It seems now that was actually unnecessary. This should be useful:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/rankx-on-multiple-columns-with-dax-and-power-bi/

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

AlB
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Here you go. Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps.

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(),
    Table1 = Source{[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1,{{"id", Int64.Type}, {"dt", type datetime}, {"id_mesure_faucon", Int64.Type}, {"valeur", Int64.Type}, {"id_site", Int64.Type}, {"libelle_departement", type text}}),

#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"valeur", Order.Descending}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type)
in
    #"Added Index"

It simply sorts by "valuer" and then adds the index column. You might want to add a second column to sort by if you want to break the ties in a specific way. Change the Source and Table1 steps as necessary to get your source data

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @AlB  and thank you. 

I created the index as you advised me. Then, to be able to create my index on the values of my sensors I created a second index. I thought I could create it by a simple measure but the result was bad because I don't want duplicates in the indexes:

image.png

So I had to create an Index sensor value measure as below:

image.png

Then a Frequency sensor value measure :

image.png

Would a single measure have been sufficient in your opinion?

Thanks for your help,

cordially

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ao1OrcTeY008gYUpjr6PF72-Qiwenw?e=Yjivlo 

Thanks for all, 

I think I succeed to share my file. This file includes the columns present in my Power Query of my company's Dataset for the day of 12/02/2020 (Yesterday).
The following image is a screenshot of the data section of my report:

Capture4.PNG

cordially

Anonymous
Not applicable

Soory, this picture is a screenshot of the data section of my report:

Image1.png

AlB
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

You have to share the URL to the file hosted elsewhere: Dropbox, Onedrive... or just upload the file to a site like tinyupload.com (no sign-up required).

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

AlB
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Can you share some sample data, like what you show in the last pic above, but in text-tabular format instead of in a scree cap? So that it can be copied directly. Copy a fragment of the table in Excel and paste it here.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @AlB and thank you again for your help

I can't seem to attach a sample of my file. The formats are not accepted:

image.png

do you want me to send it to you by email?

cordially

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You could do this best, and very easily, in Power Query. Just sort by Sensor values and then add an index column. You can also sort by sensor values and then date (the date column that appears on your last pic) if necessary

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @AlB  and thank you for your response.
The constraint that I have is that I cannot touch the structure of my Dataset because it is used by my whole company so the PowerQuery solution is not possible. On the other hand, your suggestion to sort by the sensor values ​​then to sort by date is interesting. Do you think a measurement could do that? If so which one please?

Thanks for your help and have a nice day

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.