Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sil_1552

Number of projects that started minus project that ended

Hello, I need to calculate the number of projects that started on a particular date minus the number of projects that ended. 

In my dataset I have 1,023 projects that all have a start date and an end date, as seen in the image below.

Sil_1552_1-1622118685750.png

I gave every project a value of 1 in the table ValueProjects, so I could calculate the number of projects that started and ended on particular months.

By using a table with the values: data.start_date(Months) and ValueProjects  and a table with the values: data.end_date(Months) and ValueProjects I could see how many projects were started and how many ended per month, as seen below.

Sil_1552_0-1622118178926.png

The problem that I have is that I don't know how to make a calculation that calculates the projects started minus the projects ended. Is there a sollution for this?

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sil_1552 

You don't know how to do this because you're not using measures. What you're doing is you're just dropping fields onto visuals and set their aggregation function. Please do not do this. This is a feature that is meant for quick and dirty proofs of concept and is so limited that one should forget it exists. The same goes for the so-called "automatic time hierarchies." Wanna stay away from trouble? Forget these features exist. Instead, use proper modeling techniques and life will be bright again.

To do what you want correctly you need to get familiar with many features of Power BI. Among others, with what the star schema is and how time intelligence works. You can start here Understand star schema and the importance for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs and then head over to Time Intelligence in Power BI Desktop - SQLBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.