Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bimmylee
Frequent Visitor

Mode of MAX values for each reaction plan

I have reaction plans that go into effect whenever there is a problem on the floor. Each plan has a sequence of ordered steps that a user will progress through until the problem is solved; the steps that are used are marked "complete" while the other unused steps remain with a status of "defined", as shown below:

bimmylee_1-1628185731817.png

A single reaction plan (indicated by the "tasklistid" column) may be used multiple times and have a different step used each time to resolve the problem. What I am having difficulty calculating is the most common step used as resolution for each reaction plan. Essentially, it is the MODE of the "taskorder" column, but only where it is the max value for that particular reaction plan AND where taskstatus is "complete". I have looked at this resource for calculating Mode in DAX, but I don't know how to incorporate the other two critera, particularly the "max" bit. This is what I have so far:

Most Common Step As Resolution = MINX (
    TOPN (
        ADDCOLUMNS (
            VALUES ( fact_subtask_snapshot[taskorder] ),
            "Frequency", CALCULATE ( COUNT ( fact_subtask_snapshot[taskorder] ), fact_subtask_snapshot[taskstatus] = "complete" )
        ),
        [Frequency],
    ),
    fact_subtask_snapshot[taskorder]
)

This of course always gives an answer of "1" since every plan has at least a Step 1:

bimmylee_0-1628187120299.png

I am at a loss as to how to tell it to instead look at the max completed step # for each plan when calculating the mode; this might involve some sort of "grouping" function as well. Lastly, if the above can be solved, I also need to count the number of times the most common resolution step was used, which would hopefully be a simple matter at that point.

Thanks in advance!

-Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

The first step is to figure out the maximal complete taskorder for each taskid. Then you can proceed to calculate the frequency and extract the most frequent.

Most Common Step As Resolution =
VAR MaxOrder =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        VALUES ( fact[taskid] ),
        "@MaxStep", CALCULATE ( MAX ( fact[taskkorder] ), fact[taskstatus] = "complete" )
    )
VAR AddFrequency =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        VALUES ( fact[taskorder] ),
        "@Frequency",
            VAR CurrStep = fact[taskorder]
            RETURN
                COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( MaxOrder, [@MaxStep] = CurrStep ) )
    )
RETURN
    MINX ( TOPN ( 1, AddFrequency, [@Frequency], 0 ), fact[taskorder] )

If you want the frequency instead of the corresponding step, simply replace the final argument of MINX with [@Frequency] instead of fact[taskorder].

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
bimmylee
Frequent Visitor

This solution is brilliant and works perfectly. Thank you so much!

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

The first step is to figure out the maximal complete taskorder for each taskid. Then you can proceed to calculate the frequency and extract the most frequent.

Most Common Step As Resolution =
VAR MaxOrder =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        VALUES ( fact[taskid] ),
        "@MaxStep", CALCULATE ( MAX ( fact[taskkorder] ), fact[taskstatus] = "complete" )
    )
VAR AddFrequency =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        VALUES ( fact[taskorder] ),
        "@Frequency",
            VAR CurrStep = fact[taskorder]
            RETURN
                COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( MaxOrder, [@MaxStep] = CurrStep ) )
    )
RETURN
    MINX ( TOPN ( 1, AddFrequency, [@Frequency], 0 ), fact[taskorder] )

If you want the frequency instead of the corresponding step, simply replace the final argument of MINX with [@Frequency] instead of fact[taskorder].

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.