Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

luismolle
Regular Visitor

Measure to show value from last year if blank

Hello!

I have a DAX measure doing some calcs in a table. What im trying to do is, for the values that I still dont have the calcs (blanks), it should show the value from last year.

Example with Image: for July 2023, it should show the value from July 2022 (1,416,733,167.125), August 23 should show the value from August 22 and so on.

luismolle_0-1693400132289.png

thanks.

Luis.

1 REPLY 1
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@luismolle assuming you are using a date dimension. 

As a best practice, add a date dimension in your model and use it for time intelligence calculations. Once the date dimension is added, mark it as a date table on table tools. Check the related videos on my YT channel

Add Date Dimension
Importance of Date Dimension
Time Intelligence Playlist

You can try following measure:

New Measure = 
COALESCE( 
   [Existing Measure], 
   CALCULATE ( [Existing Measure], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ( 'Date Table'[Date] ) )
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors