Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dmarkie
Frequent Visitor

MAXX Syntax and Locatin

Hi.  Newer to DAX and still learning.  I've read much and vids on Maxx but am having difficulty in achieving the desired outcome in this table creation.   I have two tables linked on the MasterID field.  The Dimesion Table/One side, is Master while the Many Relation/Fact table is Detail.  I am wanting to find the most current entry date (field name DATE) for each MasterID that exists in the Detail Table.  I am also filtering the detail table on a few fields as you can see.  This code works ok but produces ALL the records for each MasterID entry DATE.  I only want the most recent which is where i'm having problems.  I have placed the MAXX function in this DAX in a number of ways which results in syntax or other errors.  Any help is appreciated.

Thx

Dave

Table = FILTER (RELATEDTABLE(Detail), NOT ISBLANK('Detail'[VEHICLE ID]) && Detail[MasterID]>250 && CONTAINSSTRING(Detail[Description], "lof"))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No problem, sorry for not being more specific and anyway I was wrong, you should add the filter when you calulate max per MasterID, like :

Table = 
VAR CurrentMasterID = MAX( [MasterID] )
VAR TempTable = FILTER (RELATEDTABLE(Detail), NOT ISBLANK('Detail'[VEHICLE ID]) && Detail[MasterID]>250 && CONTAINSSTRING(Detail[Description]"lof") )
RETURN
ADDCOLUMNSTempTable , "Last Date" , CALCULATE(MAXX'Detail'[Date]) , MasterID = CurrentMasterID  )

Let us know if it works

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Whitewater100
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi:

A separate DateTable is recommended, marked as Date Table (Table Tools) and connected as the one-side to your fact table. Hopeflly your Fact Table has a date field that you will report off of. Usually transaction date, order date, etc.I'll paste a DAX Date Table you can use (New Table Option on Ribbon) below.

You can use the LASTNONBLANK function = LASTNONBLANK(Dates[Date], [Master ID])

This will give you the last date in your Detail table where there is a Master ID.

You can use MAX too if you are filtering to get the last Master ID with conditions:

Last ID = CALCULATE (

MAX ( Detail[Date] ),

FILTER (

ALL ( Detail ),

Detail[MasterID]>250 && CONTAINSSTRING(Detail[Description], "lof")

),

VALUES ( Detail[MasterID] )

)​

I hope this helps.

DAX DATE Calendar

DATES =

GENERATE (

CALENDAR( DATE( YEAR( TODAY() ) - 2, MONTH( TODAY() ), DAY( TODAY()) ), TODAY()),

VAR startOfWeek = 1 // Where 1 is Sunday and 7 is Saturday, thus a 3 would be Tuesday   

VAR currentDay = [Date]

VAR days = DAY( currentDay )

VAR months = MONTH ( currentDay )

VAR years = YEAR ( currentDay )

VAR nowYear = YEAR( TODAY() )

VAR nowMonth = MONTH( TODAY() )

VAR dayIndex = DATEDIFF( currentDay, TODAY(), DAY) * -1

VAR todayNum = WEEKDAY( TODAY() )

VAR weekIndex = INT( ROUNDDOWN( ( dayIndex + -1 * IF( todayNum + startOfWeek <= 6, todayNum + startOfWeek, todayNum + startOfWeek - 7 )) / 7, 0 ) )

RETURN ROW (

"day", days,

"month", months,

"year", years,

"day index", dayIndex,

"week index", weekIndex,

"month index", INT( (years - nowYear ) * 12 + months - nowMonth ),

"year index", INT( years - nowYear )

)

)

AilleryO
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

Did you try to use ADDCOLUMNS, to create the column with the MAXX([Date]) function ?

Something like :

VAR TempTable = FILTER (RELATEDTABLE(Detail), NOT ISBLANK('Detail'[VEHICLE ID]) && Detail[MasterID]>250 && CONTAINSSTRING(Detail[Description], "lof"))
RETURN
ADDCOLUMNS( TempTable , "Last Date" , MAXX( Date ) )

Let us know if it works

Thank you.

I had not tried Adding a column so i attempted.  The error reported Too Few agruments were passed to MAXX function.  2 is min req'd

My mistake, the first argument is the table and the second one the column so it should have been in my formula :

MAXX( Detail , Date ) 

Thanks getting close....this yeilded the new column however the values are all the same (4/6/2022) for all the records for all the MasterIDs.  

Here's the DAX as i have entered;

Table = VAR TempTable = FILTER (RELATEDTABLE(Detail), NOT ISBLANK('Detail'[VEHICLE ID]) && Detail[MasterID]>250 && CONTAINSSTRING(Detail[Description], "lof"))
RETURN
ADDCOLUMNS( TempTable , "Last Date" , MAXX( 'Detail', [Date]) )

You can create one more VAR to store the MasterID.

VAR CurrentMasterID = MAX( MasterID )

and add a condition to the formula for table
&&MasterID = CurrentMasterID

sorry i'm not clear on the last step of adding the below condition to the formula for the table.  The only formula i have is the DAX formula we are working on.  Sorry for not understanding.

&&MasterID = CurrentMasterID

No problem, sorry for not being more specific and anyway I was wrong, you should add the filter when you calulate max per MasterID, like :

Table = 
VAR CurrentMasterID = MAX( [MasterID] )
VAR TempTable = FILTER (RELATEDTABLE(Detail), NOT ISBLANK('Detail'[VEHICLE ID]) && Detail[MasterID]>250 && CONTAINSSTRING(Detail[Description]"lof") )
RETURN
ADDCOLUMNSTempTable , "Last Date" , CALCULATE(MAXX'Detail'[Date]) , MasterID = CurrentMasterID  )

Let us know if it works
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@dmarkie , Are you creating a measure or column.

For measure, you can try like

calculate(Max(Master[Value]), FILTER ((Detail), NOT ISBLANK('Detail'[VEHICLE ID]) && Detail[MasterID]>250 && CONTAINSSTRING(Detail[Description], "lof")) )

In the Max(Master[Value]), there is not a DATE field in the MASTER table which is the 1 side of the relation.  The DATE field which i need to retrieve the most recent date for each unique MasterID is located in the DETAIL table on the Many side.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.