Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue with values when tables have duplicates

I have a power Bi issue that I cant seem to resolve, i was wondering if anyone could assist?

I have 3 tables 

Results
Racecard
Import

Each table has a relationship via the column [Horse] they are set to Many to Many relationships between each table as this is the only relationship Power Bi will allow,  all 3 tables have multiple duplicates in the column [Horse],

I have a visual on my report page which is a table,

within that table [Horse] is taken from the 'Racecard' Table and every other column is taken from the 'Results' table, that works fine.

I want to introduce a column which is a whole number format called [RPR] which is a numerical rating from the table 'Import'

As soon as I try to introduce a column from the 3rd table 'Import' the values will not show the distinct values in the table because of the duplicate [horse] names, they will only show the maximum, minimum etc across the each instance of [Horse]

is there DAX or a calculated column way that I can resolve this, or is there a way I can get the [RPR] column from the 'Import' table duplicated & added to the end of the 'Results' table which I assume will then show the distinct values required?
3 REPLIES 3
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can you please paste some screenshots here related to your data model ans table visual issue? It's currently hard to understand your problem.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your time, im new to power bi so just getting the hang of it. 

I have created the instance below, (ignore the top table)

All the columns in the middle table are created by columns from a database table called (viewform_dbase results) with the exception of the column [Horse] which is taken from a table called (020-RPChelt). The last column [RPR] i have just added from another table called (viewform_dbase vfimport) note the values are all 1513 for Horse 'A Great View'  ie its summing all the values of [RPR] and not indicating the single value and 'Dont Summarize, is selected

The values for [RPR] should read as per the bottom table which I have created from information within the table (viewform_dbase vfimport) All columns are taken from the table (viewform_dbase vfimport) except the column [Horse] which is taken from a table called (020-RPChelt) ie on the 15-01-2017 the value for Horse 'A Great View' is 99. 

I dont want the bottom table, I just want to be able to get the correct value for [RPR] into the centre table, I can then remove the bottom table as [RPR] is the only information I need from it but I need it adding to the middle table.

Image08 Feb. 24 13.39.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.

First of all, you don't understand the rules of data modeling; that's clear from what you say. Power BI does not allow any other relationship? Well, maybe you should then change the model. I'll tell you more, you MUST change the model if you want to produce comprehensible numbers. If you don't do it, be prepared to face issues you won't even be able to understand.

Second, what you try to describe is not fully understandable. Please note that you are describing something to people who have no idea about what your model is, what it should calculate and what the issue really is....

My advice to you would be to first do some reading about proper data modeling. It's the best piece of advice you can get. Trust me.

Best
D

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors