Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kathycmiller
Frequent Visitor

Help with Calendar - that looks at minutes to prorate

I am trying to prorate data between 2 dates.  I have a calendar table - cross joined to my data table filterning the two dates Start and End.  My probelm is that I need to calculate revenue based on partial days for each line item.  For example

Row1
Start: 2/26/2020 5:18  End: 4/27/2020 3:24.  Total revenue: 7000.  Gross Days =60.92  

Row 2

Start: 4/27/2020 3:24  End: 6/22/2020 4:32.  Total Revenue: 4500.  Gross Days=56.63  

My problem- Sums total fine for full days, but days that are partial (example 4/27/2020) to prorate at the hourly/minute level.  

Is there a better way to do this?  Perhaps a cross joined table is not the answer, but I was unable to attain what I needed by just linking my calendar table directly to my data.  Any advice would be apprecited.

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@kathycmiller - It's difficult say what is going wrong based on the current information. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

StartStopGross DayRevenue Rev Per Day
1/1/2020 18:002/26/2020 13:3056.08333345461.58692
2/26/2020 13:304/27/2020 3:2460.92083234638.50899

Hopefully this helps a bit.  I am trying to calc revenue based on start/stop time for the month/quarter/year.

I would like to see:

Jan 1:  revenue = 15.39673 (1/4 of the day)
Jan 2-Feb 25: revenue = 61.586
Feb 26: Partial revenue from row 1 & row 2
Feb 27-Apr 26: revenue = 38.508 per day...

Hopefully this helps.  (Note that Gross days is not Stop -Start)

@kathycmiller - @Anonymous may be correct about power query versus DAX but I am not sure how to approach it in Power Query. However, I believe I have done something in DAX that might fit the bill: Hours Breakdown: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Hour-Breakdown/m-p/625085#M306

Breaks a Start date/time and End date/time down to the minutes within each hour. Should be adaptable to this situation I believe. Check it out and see what you think.

@ImkeF  and @edhans might have some suggestions around how to accomplish this in Power Query. They tend to deal in solutions versus admonishments.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @kathycmiller ,

please check attached solution.

The allocated amounts don't add up to the original amounts, because (as you've stated) the GrossDays are not Stop-Start.

But if you consider Jan 1st Revenue as 1/4  of the day (which accords to the actual Stop-Start-duration) - the resulting shares won't add up to the GrossDays that determined the daily amount.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please calculate this in Power Query. In DAX, even though possible, it'll be painful and the measure will be slow.

Best
D

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.