Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

newbiepowerbi
Helper II
Helper II

Getting values from average values based on criteria

Hello, i have 2 tables loaded in the data model. The first table shows the historical values based on certain cities or location. 

CityCountryContinentValue
New YorkUSNorth America240
TorontoCanadaNorth America600
DetroitUSNorth America400
BarcelonaSpainEurope350
LondonUKEurope280
BeijingChinaAsia180
ShanghaiChinaAsia380
Los AngelesUSNorth America280
LondonUKEurope200

my goal is to come up with an average value based on specified city, country and continent. Such average values will be used to come up with the value for the second table 

CityCountryContinent
BostonUSNorth America
MadridSpainEurope
DetroitUSNorth America
BerlinGermanyEurope

By using a logicial function wherein I will use the average value of said city if the city exist in the first table else use average value of said country if such country exist or else use the average value continent instead. 

Appreciate your help on how i can do this in Dax. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

i have rethought this

i think you need to convert the top table into three tables

one for city

one for country

one for continent

each should have 2 columns, names in one column, values in the other

and each should only have unique names, cities should only appear once in the city table

countries should only appear once in the country table

continents should only appear once in the continent table

when you reduce the tables to distinct names, you average the values

so in the country table, for example, each distinct country has the average values for the different times it was entered.

You can create these three tables in your data source, or in power query when you load the data.

then you load all three tables along with the second table

you create a one to many relationship between city in the second table and city in the city table

and between country in the second table and country in the country table

and between continent in the continent table and continent in the continent table

since the 3 tables you created will be on the one side of one to many relationships with the second table, you will be able to create measure for the second table to look up the already computed average values in the three tables you created using the RELATED() function. these three measure will give you an average (if it exists) for city, country and continent on each line of your second table. a 4th measure can then pick which value to use, depending on which of the measures return values.

If this is to abstract I will try to create some tables in excel and make a sample data model in power bi for you.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!