Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RandomWombsis
Regular Visitor

Getting top category from a subset of values instead of the whole column

RandomWombsis_0-1671749776061.png

I have a list of companies (company_name) and their money amounts. I also have the line of business that the companies are in.

I need to show (in a card) that line of business that has the most total money out of the top 4 companies listed here. 

Note:
This would be easily achieved using top filter if the requirement was to show the top line of business out of the whole data. That would in this case be "siivous" as its money totals to 12000 which is more than any other category. 

However what I need is to dynamically get a "subset of top 4 companies" AND then take top category out of those. 

This would in this example result in "it-ala" being the biggest line of business out of that subset with 10000 as money amount.

Can this be achieved in any way?

3 REPLIES 3
RandomWombsis
Regular Visitor

That returns me the top sum of money, but how can I get the "line of business" that has the most total money out of the top 4 companies in that list?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@RandomWombsis , do need TOP one based on two columns

2 column top N = CALCULATE([Sum of Money], TOPN(1, SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED('Table'), 'Table'[Line of business], 'Table'[Company]), [Sum of Money],DESC),VALUES('Table'[Line of business]), VALUES('Table'[Company]) )

or

maxx( TOPN(1, SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED('Table'), 'Table'[Line of business], 'Table'[Company]), [Sum of Money],DESC),VALUES('Table'[Line of business]),[Company])

or

Concatenatex( TOPN(1, SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED('Table'), 'Table'[Line of business], 'Table'[Company]), [Sum of Money],DESC),VALUES('Table'[Line of business]),[Company] || '-' || [Line of business])

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@RandomWombsis , do need TOP one based on two columns

2 column top N = CALCULATE([Sum of Money], TOPN(1, SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED('Table'), 'Table'[Line of business], 'Table'[Company]), [Sum of Money],DESC),VALUES('Table'[Line of business]), VALUES('Table'[Company]) )

or

maxx( TOPN(1, SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED('Table'), 'Table'[Line of business], 'Table'[Company]), [Sum of Money],DESC),VALUES('Table'[Line of business]),[Company])

or

Concatenatex( TOPN(1, SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED('Table'), 'Table'[Line of business], 'Table'[Company]), [Sum of Money],DESC),VALUES('Table'[Line of business]),[Company] || '-' || [Line of business])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors