Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nowherefast74
Regular Visitor

Error in new column using lookup value

Hello,

I have the following new column

locationCode = LOOKUPVALUE(locations[code],locations[id],salesOrderLines[locationId])

locations[code] is a valid field in the locations table.
I fix the formula by typing it again and it works fine and get the correct output.
But then i'll switch over to another field, and then the error comes back again "parameter is not the correct type"

I have a few fields all over different tables.  I fix them and they work.  But then I go back into them and the error comes back.

Because of this i get this error....

OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] OData: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host..

I also get the same error to this line of code to the ItemTableExcel[No.] field.

VenSearchName = calculate(firstnonblank(ItemTableExcel[VendorSearchName],1),filter(ItemTableExcel,ItemTableExcel[No.]=salesOrderLines[lineObjectNumber]))

Please advise what I am doing wrong here.
2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Nowherefast74 ,

This error may be due to the remote server being unable to handle concurrent processing of multiple tables. You can try the following:”

Is your Power BI Desktop the latest version, if not, you can update to the latest version.

Download Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Adjust parallel loading of tables settings:
File – options and settings – options – current file – data load.

vyangliumsft_0-1709709705686.png

Prevents multiple queries from being executed at the same time, thus allowing one query to be processed at a time to ensure a successful report refresh. However, this may result in longer refresh times compared to parallel processing. Alternatively, the user can select the "Custom" option and try the optimal number of tables for concurrent processing.

This is the related document, you can view this content:

Unable to read data from the transport connection - Page 2 - Microsoft Fabric Community

oData OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] Un... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please advise what I am doing wrong here.

You are using LOOKUPVALUE  🙂

But seriously, let go of your Excel thinking and embrace the Power BI way of doing things.  Use the data model if you can, and TREATAS if you must. Only use LOOKUPVALUE if there is absolutely no other way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.