Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MBisceglia
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic measure working days for specific periods of time without date field

Good morning everyone,  

I'm trying to create dynamic measures that will help me determine if an employee worked 180 days or more in each of the preceding 12-month periods. The idea here is to check this for the last 3 years and I would like to be able to run this analysis every quarter. Right now my analysis' timeframe starts last quarter (Q1 2022) and ends in Q2 2019. Therefore, I need to know if in the last 3 years each employee has worked 180 days in each of the following three periods:

1. Q2, Q3, Q4 2021 and Q1 2022 -->Year 1
  2. Q2, Q3, Q4 2020 and Q1 2021 --> Year 2
  3. Q2, Q3, Q4 2019 and Q1 2020 --> Year 3

So, it is basically a rolling 12-month calendar, since next quarter the timeframe analyzed will start in Q2 2022 and end in Q3 2019.

My problem is that I'm working with a dataset that is summarized by month, so I don't have a date field (MM-DD-YYYY). Here's what the data looks like:

MBisceglia_0-1652971385285.png

the workaround I found was to create a metric using the YearQuarter# numeric value to establish the different periods but this is not dynamic, meaning that if I want to run this again next quarter I will have to manually modify the measure's substracting numbers:

Year 1 =
VAR maxquarter= max(WorkDays[YearQuarter#])
return
CALCULATE(SUM(WorkDays[Total Operating Days]),OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#] =maxquarter,OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-7, OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-8,WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-9))))

I thought about creating nested IF() functions based on the last digit of the "maxquarter" variable I created but didn't work I tried to do the following :

VAR maxquarter= max(WorkDays[YearQuarter#])

VAR quarter1= Right(max(WorkDays[YearQuarter#]),1)

return

if([maxqurter test]=1,
CALCULATE(SUM(WorkDays[Total Operating Days]),OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#] =maxquarter,OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-7, OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-8,WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-9)))),

if([maxqurter test]=2, CALCULATE(SUM(WorkDays[Total Operating Days]),OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#] =maxquarter,OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-1, OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-8,WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-9)))),

IF([maxqurter test]=3,CALCULATE(SUM(WorkDays[Total Operating Days]),OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#] =maxquarter,OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-1, OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-2,WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-9)))),

if([maxqurter test] =4, CALCULATE(SUM(WorkDays[Total Operating Days]),OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#] =maxquarter,OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-1, OR(WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-2,WorkDays[YearQuarter#]=maxquarter-3))))))))

Probably too long for a DAX code, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this measure dynamic without having to manually change the CALCULATE function's subtracting numbers every quarter?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
johnt75
Super User
Super User

Set up a date table and include a column in the format of either of the year / quarter columns on your existing table. Create a one-to-many relationship from Date to the current table and use the columns from the Date table in filters, slicers and calculations.

View solution in original post

MBisceglia
Frequent Visitor

Hi @johnt75 !

Thanks! your reply inspired me. I eneded up seting up a date table and then using the following for Year 1 and the rest of the years: 

Year 1 =
VAR lastestdate= MAX('Date'[Date])
VAR startdate = DATE(YEAR(lastestdate), MONTH(lastestdate),DAY(lastestdate))
return
CALCULATE(SUM(WorkDays[Total Operating Days]), DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],startdate,-1,YEAR))

Year 2 to 10 =
VAR startdate = EDATE(lastestdate,-12)
return
CALCULATE(SUM(WorkDays[Total Operating Days]), DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],startdate,-1,YEAR))

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MBisceglia
Frequent Visitor

Hi @johnt75 !

Thanks! your reply inspired me. I eneded up seting up a date table and then using the following for Year 1 and the rest of the years: 

Year 1 =
VAR startdate = DATE(YEAR(lastestdate), MONTH(lastestdate),DAY(lastestdate))
return

Year 2 to 10 =
VAR startdate = EDATE(lastestdate,-12)
return

johnt75
Super User
Super User

Set up a date table and include a column in the format of either of the year / quarter columns on your existing table. Create a one-to-many relationship from Date to the current table and use the columns from the Date table in filters, slicers and calculations.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors