Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jonmaas
Frequent Visitor

Difficulties with making visuals filter each other in the desired manner

Dear Community, I am currently working in a 3 column table, called "Status", that has the columns productID, statusName and statusValue. An example with 12 rows should look like this:

productIDStatusNameStatusValue
100Ampel1green
100Ampel2green
100Ampel3yellow
100Ampel4red
101Ampel1green
101Ampel2green
101Ampel3green
101Ampel4red
102Ampel1red
102Ampel2red
102Ampel3red
102Ampel4red

My goal is to create 4 bar charts that show the Counts of statusValues for each of the statusNames. Currently I do this by creating the bar chart, adding the [StatusName] column as a filter and manually selecting the correct statusName as the filter, for example "Ampel1".Afterwards I created a measure that uses COUNTROWS(Status) and added it as the y-axis for all the bar charts and selected the StatusValue column as my x-axis. While this works my team lead recently asked me whether it would be possible to have the bar-charts filter each other whenever a bar is clicked. Wihin the sample data context the bar-chart for the statusName "Ampel2" would show the counts of green:2, red:1, yellow:0. Clicking on the "green" bar within the bar-chart for statusName = "Ampel1" should change the results shown in the "Ampel2"-Chart to green:2, red:0, yellow:0 because the product with the ID 102 is no longer considered within the context of the "Ampel2"-Chart as it's statusValue for Ampel1 is not "green".

Is there any way to make this work within a table like this? I know that if each statusName had it's own column it would be easy, but I haven't given up on this approach yet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jonmaas ,

You may need to change your data model:

First create four different tables for StatusName

Then create a table for Product ID

Manage relationships between them:

vjianbolimsft_0-1689577525551.png

Create four charts with four different tables:

vjianbolimsft_1-1689577605705.png

Final Output:

vjianbolimsft_2-1689577815748.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jonmaas ,

Where is the ID 103? I can't find it in your example.

Sorry for that the information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please share more details to help us clarify your scenario?

Please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data.

Refer to:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for you engagement! This is a rather embarrassing typo and was meant to be "102".
Is there any other information you'd require to understand my problem?

Best regards,
Jonathan

Hi @jonmaas ,

You may need to change your data model:

First create four different tables for StatusName

Then create a table for Product ID

Manage relationships between them:

vjianbolimsft_0-1689577525551.png

Create four charts with four different tables:

vjianbolimsft_1-1689577605705.png

Final Output:

vjianbolimsft_2-1689577815748.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

SamInogic
Super User
Super User

Hi @jonmaas ,

You can try below properties for bar chart to have the count of Products based on StatusValue and StatusName.

X-Axis : StatusName

Y-Axis : Count of ProductID

Legends : StatusValue

Please refer to the below screenshot for the same,

SamInogic_0-1689163956261.png

Thanks!

Inogic Professional Services Division

Power Platform and Microsoft Dynamics 365 CRM Development – All under one roof!

Drop an email at crm@inogic.com

Services:  http://www.inogic.com/services/

Power Platform/Dynamics 365 CRM Tips and Tricks:  http://www.inogic.com/blog/

Inogic Professional Services: Power Platform/Dynamics 365 CRM
An expert technical extension for your techno-functional business needs
Drop an email at crm@inogic.com
Service: https://www.inogic.com/services/
Tips and Tricks: https://www.inogic.com/blog/

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately stacked bar-charts are not what I want to use. Neither is the filtering I asked about included within your suggestion. Implementing the chart with your suggested field selection still does not allow me to filter the bar for "Ampel2" to only consider products that have a certain value for "Ampel1" by clicking the bar representing the desired value.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.