Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX query question / performance issue

Hey guys,

i've just started working with DAX and need some help with a DAX query / performance issue. 

I'm using direct query mode and display the data in a matrix.

There are two Tables (one fact (MV_AGG_FACT_PRODUCT_CAL_YEAR), one dimension table(MD_EXCHANGE_RATE_FORECAST)) in a many to many relationship.

In the fact table, there are revenue values and in the dimension table, there are corrospending exchange rate values. I want to multiply the revenue in the fact table with the exchange rate. The two tables are connected via a key column (SN_CURRENCYFORECAST_MERGED). One revenue can have multiple exchange rates assigned to.

I've created a measure (REV1) what is doing a calculation on the fact table. The result of this calculation should be multiplied with corresponding exchange rate. This calculation works pretty fast.

I've then created a second measure (because i just didnt know how die implement these calculation in one DAX query) what is "joining" the exchange value from the dimension table.

Measure = SUMX(MV_AGG_FACT_PRODUCT_CAL_YEAR,CALCULATE ( FIRSTNONBLANK ( MD_EXCHANGE_RATE_FORECAST[RATE], 1 ), FILTER ( MD_EXCHANGE_RATE_FORECAST, MD_EXCHANGE_RATE_FORECAST[SN_CURRENCYFORECAST_MERGED] = [SN_CURRENCYFORECAST_MERGED] ) ) * [REV1])

It works, i'm getting the correct values. But the query performance is really really slow now.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin you are completely right.

i was that mutch focussed on DAX that i didnt see the basic problem. Of course, exchange rates is no dimension. it is a fact. I've adjusted the datamodel (merged those two fact tables to one) and got rid of the many to many relationship. 

@wdx223_Daniel thanks also for that! 

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

Measure = SUMX(MV_AGG_FACT_PRODUCT_CAL_YEAR,VAR _filter=FILTER ( VALUES(MD_EXCHANGE_RATE_FORECAST[SN_CURRENCYFORECAST_MERGED]), MD_EXCHANGE_RATE_FORECAST[SN_CURRENCYFORECAST_MERGED] = [SN_CURRENCYFORECAST_MERGED] ) RETURN CALCULATE ( MIN ( MD_EXCHANGE_RATE_FORECAST[RATE] ), _filter ) * [REV1])
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You do not want to have bidirectional search in a M:M relationship.  You don't even want a M:M relationship between a dimension table and a fact table - this basically says that your dimension table is fake, it is a fact table pretending to be a dimension.  Please rethink your data model.  Ideally a dimension points to a fact in 1:M with single search direction.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin  thanks for your reply.

There is one Fact Table, one Dimension Table. Connected with a many to many relationship via a key.

Of course, there are some more Dimensions, but they are not relevant for this report.

jackno7_0-1612868615307.jpeg

With the query builder in DAX Studio i was able to generate the following query.

MyMessure1 just contains a simple calculation of some columns on the fact table. This works as expected.

jackno7_1-1612868615315.jpeg

The result is correct, so far.

What i now whant to do is: multiply RATE with MyMeasure. In a final step i want to get the SUM of those results by customer_code. In this case i would expect the following result:

jackno7_2-1612868615313.jpeg

As i already wrote in the topic, i found a solution for doing that. But this is really really slow.

Kind regards

Jack

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

- show your data model

- install DAX Studio and use it to profile your queries and figure out how to optimize the query performance. Watch the videos that describe how to do that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.