Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NorthLegion
Regular Visitor

Creating of model table in PowerPivot

Hi everyone!

There is my case: I have few data tables in PowerPivot with similar types of data. In these tables I created couple calculated column and it work correct. For creating of pivot tables I try to unite these tables between calculated column in model table, where should be unique values. In PowerBI this is very ordinary task, I need just create new table with:
SomeName=
DISTINCT(UNION(
VALUES(Data_Table1[ColumnName]);
VALUES(Data_Table2[ColumnName]))

But in PowerPivot the same doesn't work! It returned mistake: "A single value was expected, but a table or multiple values was passed". So, I don't have any ideas, what I do wrong.
Thanks for any help!

4 REPLIES 4
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@NorthLegion 

I think the problem could be in VALUES()

This function cannot be used to Return values into a cell or column on a worksheet; rather, you use it as an intermediate function, nested in a formula, to get a list of distinct values that can be counted or used to filter or sum other values.

try to use SELECTCOLUMNS():

SomeName=
DISTINCT(UNION(
SELECTCOLUMNS(Data_Table1; "ColumnName"; Data_Table1[ColumnName]);
SELECTCOLUMNS(Data_Table2; "ColumnName"; Data_Table2[ColumnName])
)
)

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

@az38 , 

Unfortunately, SELECTCOLUMNS() doesn't work too. How I known from another BI-forum, its impossible to create calculated tables in PowerPivot, so single solution - clear data just in PowerQuery (although in this case it would be more convenient in PowerPivot).

@jeremyking77 , no, its not about uppercase/lowercase - I tried to do the same with just one table with small amount of data (about 10 lines), its doesn't work too.

Nonetheless, thanks for help!

@NorthLegion is it possible for you to attach the pbix file? or is it sensitive information?

jeremyking77
Helper I
Helper I

It sounds like your column you're assuming is unique isnt actually unique. 

Have you tried removing duplicates in Power Query?

Removing duplicates will make sure its unique, but its probably a good idea to make it upper case.. as 'A' and 'a' are not duplicates in Power Query, but it is with your relationships

There is a good article here on it

https://radacad.com/remove-duplicate-doesnt-work-in-power-query-for-power-bi-here-is-the-solution

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.